• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY15 STA-21 Applicants

Well I'm done licking my wounds from FY14. Its time to start looking toward FY15. Anyone who has any questions or advice for any applicants feel free to post here. My advice to anyone applying is to stay positive. For example this will be my 3rd year applying and it will be the year I get picked up. Anyway I will be applying for SWO/IP and CORE.

S117

Naval Aircrewman SAR Swimmer
Yeah I gave myself one day to be pissed off and mopey but gotta bounce back. I'm definitely going to CLEP and take college classes to keep myself on schedule for graduating at the same time as if I went to school this year. I'm rather time limited to be a Pilot due to my age. This will be my second time applying and my LPO (who's submitted a butt ton of packages for Intel and is now going the OSC route) told me that the hardest package to build is your very first one, now it's just updating what you already have and adding onto it. It helped keep me motivated, that all that work and effort wasn't entirely for nothing. I hope that helps somebody else too.

lifepilot17

FY-14 STA-21 Alternate Selectee
Well, unless I get moved up from the alternates list there's no hope for becoming a Naval Aviator for me due to my age...

Just glad I got the alternate slot as an Airman the first time up. Now it's time to go for that NFO slot!

Definitely taking a couple CLEP tests and continue on with my degree.

S117, which classes are you trying to CLEP?

S117

Naval Aircrewman SAR Swimmer
Well, unless I get moved up from the alternates list there's no hope for becoming a Naval Aviator for me due to my age...

Just glad I got the alternate slot as an Airman the first time up. Now it's time to go for that NFO slot!

Definitely taking a couple CLEP tests and continue on with my degree.

S117, which classes are you trying to CLEP?

LP17,
I'm going to CLEP Math (alg), Eng Comp, and any humanities I can get my hands on. Anything I can't CLEP I'll take college classes to earn the credits and I'll stay on track for an ontime graduation before I turn 29

BobbyNavy06

Good evening all,

I would like opinions from everyone here; ACT or SAT. I took the SAT long time ago and did well, but I am leaning more towards the ACT. What scores does STA21 care about? Should I sign up for the (Writing portion), sense I read that I have the choice not to.

Thank you all in advance.

Novaspike

I've heard the ACT is easier, but I've only the SAT before.

I didn't think you had a choice about doing the writing portion (I didn't when I retook the SATs in 2009), but they didn't count, so that didn't matter.

Doc B-dorf

No FY15 Program for me! Almost done w/school!
Good evening all,

I would like opinions from everyone here; ACT or SAT. I took the SAT long time ago and did well, but I am leaning more towards the ACT. What scores does STA21 care about? Should I sign up for the (Writing portion), sense I read that I have the choice not to.

I am not sure how the board looks at either exam. I think the one thing they really care about is making sure you make the minimum score/within 3 years.

I myself, will not be applying for the program this year because I will be finishing my BA this summer when the packages are due and therefore sink my own eligiblility. Now I just have to wait for the guidance on the EMDP2 program.

I will still lurk and give advice, what little I have.

Now, back to class/studying for CPO.

zarevich

Good evening all,

In my opinion i think the SAT would look better than ACT, just like when applying for good universities, most of them want SAT because they want to check your vocabulary as well as your math skills. Even on the Fleet Brief they only post Average Scores only for SAT and not for ACT. But if you are applying for SWO most of the officers i talked on my ship who took ACT got 25+. Hope this helped.

Grimmetal

Hello everyone, E4/YN3 here. Just wanted to introduce myself to the thread as I'll be applying this year for the first time. I'll be turning 26 in March and applying for NFO and CORE. I'm hoping with the help of a waiver, that I can have at least a couple shots at that option. I just transferred to an Airwing for staff duty, so I'm hoping I can get quite a bit of cooperation from my command on this as long as I'm willing to do the legwork.

Grimmetal

I wasn't sure how to edit posts on this forum, so I had a few questions off the top of my head. Sorry for the double post.

Now, assuming I would ever get selected to participate in this program:

How are admissions handled? Are STA-21 students required to adhere to the same admission standards as a regular transfer student? (Ex. Some Universities require 60 credits from transfer students) Or do you get automatically placed into a University if they don't have any prerequisites for transfer students?
How are age waivers handled? As of this application cycle, I would need to apply for a waiver (assuming I start classes Summer 2015 and work the full 36 months through Spring 2017 and being 29 years old) I would end up with a commission a couple of months after the 29 year old deadline. Do I need to clarify this in the personal statement or is there a form I need to submit?

I have 2 years Enlisted time already so I would definitely be able to adjust up the final 31 year old limit required of the NFO option. The downside is, I would need to get selected this year or next year. I MIGHT have a third year of applying if I can graduate early as my birthday is in March and I would just miss the 31 deadline by a couple of months, as stated before.
I'll have anywhere from 15-30 credits (which is a whole semester of error room) depending on how many of my JST transcript credits get accepted to go along with prior college.
Is there a limit to the number of credits you can sign up for each semester?

The only option that speaks to me right now is the Naval Flight Officer option. Maybe as I reach the end of my NFO eligibility, I would think about another commissioning program.

I'll have anywhere from 15-30 credits (which is a whole semester of error room) depending on how many of my JST transcript credits get accepted to go along with prior college.

Soup84

Prior AM2, FY-12 Pilot Select, Commissioned Dec 12
Good evening all,

STA-21 only cares about your English and Math scores for the ACT and the Reading and Math for the SAT. You do not need to sign up for the writing portion.

I highly recommend at least starting with the ACT. There are two reasons for this. First, the ACT is generally considered easier and is certainly more straightforward than the SAT. Also, in my opinion, the ACT is easier to study for. Second and most important, you can take the ACT every 60 days and most students get better scores their second time.
Furthermore, it doesn't matter if you happen to do worse on a subsequent test. STA-21 will accept your highest score.
Personally, I took the ACT twice and did much better the second time. I also got picked up my first shot.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Good luck to all the applicants. I'm a two year alternate select and will be willing to answer any questions you all may have. I will be applying for OCS this year.

visanoven

ENC -> OC
I wasn't sure how to edit posts on this forum, so I had a few questions off the top of my head. Sorry for the double post.

How are admissions handled? Are STA-21 students required to adhere to the same admission standards as a regular transfer student? (Ex. Some Universities require 60 credits from transfer students) Or do you get automatically placed into a University if they don't have any prerequisites for transfer students?
How are age waivers handled? As of this application cycle, I would need to apply for a waiver (assuming I start classes Summer 2015 and work the full 36 months through Spring 2017 and being 29 years old) I would end up with a commission a couple of months after the 29 year old deadline. Do I need to clarify this in the personal statement or is there a form I need to submit?

I have 2 years Enlisted time already so I would definitely be able to adjust up the final 31 year old limit required of the NFO option. The downside is, I would need to get selected this year or next year. I MIGHT have a third year of applying if I can graduate early as my birthday is in March and I would just miss the 31 deadline by a couple of months, as stated before.
Is there a limit to the number of credits you can sign up for each semester?

The only option that speaks to me right now is the Naval Flight Officer option. Maybe as I reach the end of my NFO eligibility, I would think about another commissioning program.

You will need to apply to a University and be accepted there to participate in the program. You can apply before you find out if you got accepted to STA-21, and I recommend this. As far as the age wiaver goes, you ask for it in your personal statement. The number of credits you can sign up for per semester is up to your university. Here at ODU it is 17 credits, but you can get waivers for a couple more if you need it.

ohnoitslizz

FY-19 LDO Applicant

Grimmetal-- heads up, the fleet brief states the age is now 31 for both of your options. no waiver required. If you do need a waiver, however, you'll state it in your statement and ensure your CO approves/recommends you for a waiver in his/her endorsement letter as well.

Hope this helps, good luck to all you guys again this year.

BobbyNavy06

STA-21 only cares about your English and Math scores for the ACT and the Reading and Math for the SAT. You do not need to sign up for the writing portion.

I highly recommend at least starting with the ACT. There are two reasons for this. First, the ACT is generally considered easier and is certainly more straightforward than the SAT. Also, in my opinion, the ACT is easier to study for. Second and most important, you can take the ACT every 60 days and most students get better scores their second time.
Furthermore, it doesn't matter if you happen to do worse on a subsequent test. STA-21 will accept your highest score.
Personally, I took the ACT twice and did much better the second time. I also got picked up my first shot.

Thank you for the advice, I will stick to my (gut feeling), and go with the ACT. I did not know that I can take it every 60 days, so it's very welcoming to hear that I have some room for error- incase I don't do to well on the test the first time.