• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NIFE Water Survival

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Hey everyone,
Here is some gouge about the water survival portion of NIFE. Nothing too crazy, but I thought people would appreciate some prior knowledge. Happy to answer any questions too.

Day 1:
Begins with introductions, an outline of the course, and a 15 minute video on how to do the strokes for the course
Pool portion:
No flight suit work. Practice tower to line jump in a swimsuit (underwater swim), 2 minute tread and 5 min prone float in a swimsuit, swim around the pool doing American crawl (freestyle), breast stroke, elementary back stroke, and sidestroke. This is a screening. It determines if you stay in the class or you go to remedial swim. If you get rolled to remedial on this day, you don’t get a pink sheet. If you get rolled after Day 1, you get a pink sheet. I believe swim hold is a minimum of 10 days.

Day 2:
Back in the classroom to learn about some more specialized skills (surface swim, HELP position, surfacing in an oil/fuel slick, etc.
Pool portion:
2 minute tread and 5 minute prone float in a swimsuit, get out, put flight suit and boots on, get back in and do the 2 minute tread and 5 minute prone float all over again. Practice tower to line jump from the side of the pool. 10 minute endurance swim (a little bit of crawl, breaststroke, elementary back stroke, side stroke, and a stroke of your choice). All further days begin in the pool.

Day 3:
Practice tower to line jump off the tower (if you make it, it counts as a pass), 2 minute tread and 6 minute float in flight suit, boots, harness/vest, and gloves, build up breaststroke swim in full gear sans helmet (~45 yds). 15 minute endurance swim in flight suit and goggles of the same strokes as above minus backstroke. Backstroke is pretty much a no go after day 2.

Day 4:
Full flight gear (flight suit, boots, harness/vest, gloves, and helmet) 2 minute tread and 7 minute float. 65 yard build up swim in full flight gear using survival breaststroke, 25 minute endurance swim in flight suit and goggles using the three strokes as above. This is the final endurance swim. The majority of the swim was stroke of choice (i.e. the one/two stroke(s) you are going to use on the mile).

Day 5:
This was my favorite day. The day started off with a 100 yd survival breast stroke. I think it was a tested item technically, but it really just serves as a warm up to the full gear swim. Those who were still down on the tower to line jump finished up, we did the rough water submerge and surface (surface dive, swim a couple strokes underwater, then surface and block your face with your hand). Then you move onto a dive where you simulate swimming under a slick. You do a surface dive swim 2-3 strokes underwater, and then you flail your arms in all directions as you surface to create a breathing hole. Both those are done in a flight suit and boots. We also did a flight suit inflation prone float. It’ literally how it sounds. Treat for 10 seconds, prone float, inflate your flight suit orally, and then come back to the wall. After that we did the 75 yd full gear swim using survival breaststroke. Not too hard, but when you breathe, you get water in your face from the helmet. The entrance was fun as the instructors had us do cannonballs and belly flops to start. After the swim, we put PFDs on and did the surface debris swim (read aggressive breast stroke and splashing your neighbors), a surface burning oil swim (you spin and swim at the same time, kind of hard to explain, but not too hard), and the HELP (Heat Escape Lessening Posture). The last part of the day was learning trouser inflations. You roll your pair of trousers (provided) up. You tread with no hands for a minute in a swim suit only (should be easy after making through the treads all week), then at your own pace, you work through the four types of inflation (overhead, side, in front, and oral). This write up is the longest since you cover the most this day. There are a lot of skills, but they aren’t hard and are arguably fun to learn.

Day 6:
The mile swim. You can use freestyle, side stroke, breast stroke, or any combination thereof. You do this in a flight suit and goggles. I recommend wearing a shirt under the flight suit to prevent chafing. The pool is short course (25 yd) so that makes 36 laps (round trips) for a mile. You cannot push off the wall or stand up in the shallow end. Any issues with cramps/goggles, etc. have to be sorted out with treading or the prone float. There are buoys at each end you have to round. You are not responsible for your lap count. My biggest tip is just keep swimming until told to stop. Don’t try to guess how much longer you have. You’ll just psych yourself out. I also strongly recommend breaststroke. I did the survival variant (kick, glide, then arms) and it gave nice results for comparatively little energy usage. I kept it at a pace to not increase my heartrate a ton. I settled into a nice rhythm. The time limit is 80 minutes which is plenty of time for most. I was one of the slower ones in the pool and I got out at 52 minutes. I was sweating this big time since I’ve never really swum distance. The key is just not stopping.

Day 7: American Red Cross CPR course. Just sit there in the classroom, watch the videos, practice some CPR, take a pretty easy test, and viola, you have a card saying you’re certified in CPR.

The helo dunker and other survival/physiology classes are done after the completion of the flying portion of NIFE.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Good Gouge, The key ingredient to this training is to be confident in the water. The only real experience I had in the water was damn near drowning in boot camp. I did the remedial class and it was the best thing I did to get confident enough to complete the training.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Good Gouge, The key ingredient to this training is to be confident in the water. The only real experience I had in the water was damn near drowning in boot camp. I did the remedial class and it was the best thing I did to get confident enough to complete the training.

This right here. I was not confident in the water outside of swimming the strokes and the tread/float with a swimsuit on. The course got me confident that I could survive a sticky situation in full gear. Plus, I felt super rewarded after the mile swim.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
Full gear swim in boots sounds pretty intimidating. I've done some training in full Marine cammies with boots and kicking with those suckers on is hard. Very inefficient. For me it was almost all arms. I'm comfortable in the water but adding gear is no joke. Does it weigh you down a lot or is it just a lot more drag? Are you neutrally buoyant?

jointhelocalizer

pilot
For the treads, it’s obviously noticeable. You are weighed down (although the helmet has positive buoyancy). For the swims, I’d say there’s a bit of drag that’s noticeable, but you can definitely do it. The key is not stopping. I personally thought the boots helped with the frog kick (more surface area). The full gear swims are also not timed, it is simply a distance swim. So go at a pace that works for you.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Make sure to get boots about a size too small so they don't have a ton of extra room to fill up with water. Try and get a helmet that fits snugly too.

When I was in Aircrew school I didn't pass the mile swim. Did it again everyday for a week and then it was easy. Fast forward 10 years later to API and I freestyled the whole thing in 26 minutes. Fastest person in my class finished in 23, they were flying.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
A pro tip too is go over to the remedial well (pool) and get your flight suit from there. Better selection of sizes and better quality. I second the advice of getting good fitting gear. I got a 40L a couple times and I’m a 38R. Definitely made the endurance swims a bit harder. Also, wear a rash guard/t-shirt for the mile. Chafing is no fun.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This isn't quite as practical in API/NIFE, but if you wear socks with the boots, it's a million times better. My last swim/phys, I wore both the t-shirt and socks and it was much more comfortable. You didn't have the hard leather and random sole tack digging into your skin when swimming. Made me wish I had done it earlier.

The LPU still failed and the dunker window wouldn't open, but at least I was comfortable while inhaling water.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Don't let the full flight gear swim intimidate you. The objective is to make your way across a large pool but style isn't particularly important.

One pro tip is breathing technique: keep as much air in your lungs for as long as possible, that helps you float with less physical effort. If you don't do that and you're a fatty then you won't have enough natural buoyancy to keep your mouth and nose out of the water when it's time to take a breath. If you don't do that and you're in better cardio shape than 99% of the olympic team, then you're going to tire yourself out from all the wasted physical effort flailing about with all that gear on. When you're not breathing, direct your physical effort into propulsion instead of raising your blowhole some unnecessary distance above the surface.

Another tip is your kick when you're wearing boots a mediocre frog kick will work better than a great flutter kick or scissors kick. When the instructors tell you to use a specific stroke then comply, of course, but when they leave it up to you then work smarter, not harder.

Everybody already covered what's good to know about flight gear fitting and wearing socks or undershirts/rash guards. I never went for socks or a shirt but YMMV, personal preference.

If you had witness my athleticism as a child and teenager and knew that I easily passed the swim stuff, then you'd say to yourself "if that guy can do it then anyone can..."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But whatever you do, for God's sake, don't try and swim and/or float on your back with all your gear on. You know, like you'd do in real life. You'll immediately drown, hit your head on a rock, and probably kill your co-pilot in the process.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Also, while you're sitting on the sidelines waiting for your turn in the pool for the full swim, give yourself a breath or two of air in the LPU when your instructors aren't looking.
This serves two purposes:

1. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.
  2. This Ops checks your LPU so you don't swim 50 yards, take a great big breath and blow it into your LPU, only to see a bunch of bubbles come out the back and side of said ripped LPU on your brick-like path to the bottom of the deep end.