• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

snake020

Contributor
That is also a Tony Scott film, produced by Simpson/Bruckheimer. It always was TG2 with a different name.
Does that make Crimson Tide TG3, where Maverick, now played by Denzel Washington, gets promoted to LCDR, joins the submarine corps, and with his own way of doing things starts a mutiny?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I can't argue with the fact that TC is a lucrative Hollywood brand. He's done some great movies, and a few stinkers. But I'll never be a fan of his. I'll watch Topgun 2 because I was in flight school when Topgun 1 came out. I'll try to stomach his scenes and do my best not to let Scientology affect my enjoying the movie.

The dude is seriously weird, just for being associated with that "religion". May as well be a Jedi Knight.

Minnesota Tomcat

Turkeybeast
I wonder of the plot is going to be as cheesy as the original movie. I loved the dog fighting scenes, but I thought the pursuit of his instructor was cheesy.

Hair Warrior

Contributor

kejo

pilot
Hollywood Reporter links Chinese financing of TG2 to missing Japanese and Taiwanese flag patches on Maverick’s leather jacket.
View attachment 22607

These colors don't run...unless chased away by a lot of green...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
81hs6V1chfL._SY500_.jpg
Who among us has not been tempted to reenact the rental car scene?

MGoBrew11

pilot
I get the impression that there are two Tom Cruises (Cruzes?). One was a very young new actor trying to do his thing while also being in a challenging environment. The other is the more mature Cruise we see today who, be it through self-determination or Xenu, has seized life and taken charge.

I say that because many of us here on the board had an XO who was the Mig pilot in the movie. He spent a lot of time with the cast and said that most of them hung out with the pilots but Cruise was distant. He also said Cruise struggled in the jet. He said he got the impression that TC felt a little out of place and that's why he was distant with the Navy guys at the time.

I can't prove it, but I get the feeling he started flying his Pitts as a way to conquer his issues in the Tomcat. I'm sure starting to drive with Newman helped fuel his action passion, too. Well, that and money.

Struggled to do what? Sit on his hands and say a few lines?

exNavyOffRec

Bit of ancient trivia here: I just happened to be going through the Adversary side of TOPGUN when they were in talks with Hollywood about making the first movie. Buddy of mine and I were walking down the passageway ONE DAY when the TG XO spotted us and called us in to his office. My buddy had been a prior squadron mate of his. XO "Rat" Willard proceeded to talk about some of the negotiations and said, "They even want us to paint our F-5's black, to be Migs. They say they've got some water-based paint that they can spray on and it will wash off afterwards. Do you believe this shit?"
CAPT WIllard was my CO on the Nimitz, it seemed like Top Gun was played every week, he seemed like a pretty good CO, my CPO was an ass though.

exNavyOffRec

All true, but have you seen the Navy recruiting numbers after TG 1 came out ???

It will be interesting to see how recruiting numbers go after TG2, with the internet people will be able to find out you can't learn to fly a get with only a HS diploma, enlisted recruiters can only lie so much lol

Now Down Periscope was pretty realistic of the antics that would go on back then for enlisted nukes in the engineroom, some ex-nuke had to have their hand in that movie.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Seriously? I don't mean that facetiously, I'm genuinely curious. I figured the only realistic thing about Down Periscope was that we have subs. And Lauren Holly was quite attractive.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It will be interesting to see how recruiting numbers go after TG2, with the internet people will be able to find out you can't learn to fly a get with only a HS diploma, enlisted recruiters can only lie so much lol

Now Down Periscope was pretty realistic of the antics that would go on back then for enlisted nukes in the engineroom, some ex-nuke had to have their hand in that movie.

No lies, Down Periscope is my favorite Navy movie and arguably the most realistic.

1. Band of misfits for a crew? ✅
  2. Big Navy passing on a legit bro and leader for CO? ✅
  3. Out of touch Admiral? ✅
  4. Said band of misfits leaving the OpArea (if you ain’t cheatin, you ain’t trying) ✅
  5. Said band of misfits overcoming the Navy’s bureaucracy and dogma to overcome (and sink a ship in Norfolk harbor no less?) ? ✅
  6. A helicopter lands in a parking lot at the end ? ✅