• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

100 Reagan sailors left in Hong Kong

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Yes, crazy stuff happening over there... My dad's wetting down got cancelled on account of that impending"hurricane."

My heart really goes out to those sailors left behind in hong kong... what a horrible place to be stranded at :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
100 Reagan sailors left in Hong Kong
This would fall into the "NAVY GOOD DEAL" category ... :D

*EDIT* .... it's also why you NEVER sleep on the ship when in a liberty port ... ALWAYS get a place on the "beach".

Believe it. :)

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
This would fall into the "NAVY GOOD DEAL" category ... :D

Whether or not this would be a "Good Deal" is directly proportional to the "A$$hole rating" of the officer left in charge.
The lower the rating the better the deal.

I got left in Naples by the Forrestal once. The OIC was a Commander, an all around good guy, and it was a blast.

I got stuck in Philadelphia once (C-9 hit a bird) and we had a LT, with a high rating, and it sucked. we had to spend the night in the terminal even though I had family nearby who were willing to put the entire Det (9 guys) up for the night.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
A good deal indeed....per diem??

Several years ago I was on a cross country from Corpus to San Diego in a T-44. Fuel bladder sprung a leak. Had to RON. Next day it was determined that ONLY techs from Corpus could fix it. RON. Next day they flew out. RON. Next day they fixed it. RON.

The house we were staying at was nice, and belonged to the parents-in-law of one of the IPs. He insisted we call him Pete and that we not pee in his pool. So, after I got back, I sent his wife a boquet of flowers as a way of thanks for their hospitality.

Turns out that Pete was recently retired COS for PACFLT.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
At first I thought, 100 missed ships movement. Not good. Now, it looks like some lucky sailors.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is the China Fleet Club still there or did it go with the Brits :(
The "old" one went down in the '80's or something like that ... anyway, it happened when I was flying for the airlines. The old CFC was replaced by a glowing monument to crappy architecture that resembled a Kleenex box turned on end. The food and rooms were better, the shopping was worse, even thought the purchasing dept. was still run by the U.S. Navy.

When the ChiComs took over in '97, it all died. The Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club ended up being the place to go and still take on "colonial airs" or pretend to be an "ex-pat".

Old & "new" China Fleet Club:

rnchinaur7.jpg
rnchinafleetclubnewcm5.jpg

plc67

pilot
China Fleet, Cubi Point O'Club,Red Dog Saloon, Mex Pac, Booms; all gone. Civilization as I knew it has crumbled.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still own some fine quality merchandise purchased at rock-bottom prices at the old China Fleet Club, and very affordable even for a then, fresh-caught Lt.

Of course most of that pictured below was more foolishly spent in much more "fun" places, but nothing to show for it today other than some great memories!! ;) :D

(Man, I loved Hong Kong back in the day! :) )

honkongaa4.jpg

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
What they don't tell you is 90 of those sailors were probably waving "buh bye" to the boat from their hotel rooms.