• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1950s Carrier Trials Montage....

yak52driver

Contributor
Excellent video! It was hard for me to tell, were all of those done aboard the USS Ticonderoga?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Arressting Gear

Wow. The arresting gear seemed to stop them right now with not much payout. Rough stop or low speeds?

I think the arresting gear engines of the early '50s were rougher with a shorter runout. I deployed on TICO in '61 & runout was definitely rougher & shorter than the "SuperCarriers".

Also noticed they were landing/rolling out on the axial deck. Must have been just prior to TICO's 27-C conversion which added angle deck/hurricane bow, which she had in '61.
BzB

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
"Fired with a lower catapult and airspeed"...sheesh, knowingly taking a soft catshot!?!?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
"Fired with a lower catapult and airspeed"...sheesh, knowingly taking a soft catshot!?!?

I guess that's the name of the game- performance charts, wind envelopes, etc. come from somewhere; they don't appear by magic (well ok, they do, but...).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
USS TICONDEROGA CV-14 ... my first night CQ ... she liked to heave & roll and the landing area was 'small & short' ... remember that STOOF CAT-shot posted herein a while back where the STOOF disappeared in the white water off the 'pointy-end' ... ??? That was off the TICO ... and she was a 'dancer'.

Anytime you flew on/off a 27C type CV ... it made you a 'BELIEVER': that's as a 'believer' in the LSO ... a 'believer' in your training ... a 'believer' in your skills ... and occasionally a 'believer' in life after death ??? BELIEVE IT !!! :):)

And it made you appreciate the big decks. Funny -- for decades we took initial CQ STUDs, including Jet-STUDs, to a 27C deck for their first BOAT work ...

The LSO sez to me when I called the ball for the first night trap (true story): ''THE DECK'S PITCHIN' AND HEAVIN' ... SO DON'T CHASE THE BALL ... AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT LINEUP AS SHE'S ROLLIN' BADLY ... JUST LISTEN TO ME ... !!!'' :eek::eek::eek::eek:

ussticonderogaseafair.jpg

The TICO post SCB-125 rework, in calmer seas in Elliot Bay during the opening of the Seattle Worlds Fair, 1962.
:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Yeah ... and just so all the 'rest of you' might know the basic difference between a 'straight 27C' and a SBC-125 modernization ... check out the below cropped pix of the USS INTREPID CV-11 (the Fighting I ... the Dry I ... the Evil I ... current museum ... it just depends upon your perspective):

The SBC-125 conversion on top, obviously ... :)

ussintrepidscb125mod.jpg

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Yeah ... and just so all the 'rest of you' might know the basic difference between a 'straight 27C' and a SBC-125 modernization ... check out the below cropped pix of the USS INTREPID CV-11 (the Fighting I ... the Dry I ... the Evil I ... current museum ... it just depends upon your perspective):

The SBC-125 conversion on top, obviously ... :)

ussintrepidscb125mod.jpg
Thanks for the education; I can definitely see the difference in the angle deck. This is what I love about this site; I learn something new every day! :thumbup_1

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TICO LSO'S & STOOFS 'at the moment of truth' ... old school style.

Please note how close the LSO's are to the bird and the foul line ... when you're that close, you can 'feel' the engines right through your chest and see the pilot's mustache as he flashes by ..... this is 'da BEST, Bruddahs -- this is 'hands-on' carrier aviation ... :)

Wish I could do it again, tomorrow ... oh, well ... mebbe time for a nap, instead ... ??? :):sleep_125

55776472.jpg