• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1st Shore Tour plus one year obliserve

Bluefious

Unfortunately I think I already know the answer to this:
I'm a helo pilot rolling into my first shore tour (orders unknown) with 16 YOS and no intent on pursuing DH career path for my community. Following shore orders will have a little less than one year remaining obliserve. Will be at 20 years so weighing retirement vs. SLERES etc.. What fate might await me for that last year and any ideas how to avoid getting into a bad situation? Anyone seen this? Thanks!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Tell your detailer/monitor/front office that you haven't decided yet whether you want to get out at 20. I wouldn't have the heart to take a billet that is important to the climbers, but at least you might get one that you don't hate. Tracom comes to mind, personally. I'm a tour behind you on about the same trajectory, and I've thought about this, too. I refuse to be the OIC of the station wood shop, which I imagine is what happens to a guy who is DIFOP and only has a year on station.

Does the Navy have 12-18 month shore tours available (like the Marine Corps has EWS/FAC)?

survival-motivational-poster-fox-with-hounds-when-1.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Unfortunately I think I already know the answer to this:
I'm a helo pilot rolling into my first shore tour (orders unknown) with 16 YOS and no intent on pursuing DH career path for my community. Following shore orders will have a little less than one year remaining obliserve. Will be at 20 years so weighing retirement vs. SLERES etc.. What fate might await me for that last year and any ideas how to avoid getting into a bad situation? Anyone seen this? Thanks!

Why on earth would you think SELRES? You might have to take a little pain to hit 20 and get out, but that little pain would be far out-weighed by getting that retirement check immediately and not 22 years later. Now, if you really aren't sure you want to be done at 20, then by all means, look at SELRES, but it sounds like you just want to be done (which is certainly understandable after 20 years).

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with Gatordev. Do your time and retire. Don't even think about SELRES. I was sitting at the fence at 20 after my shore tour, but decided to keep pushing forward.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
If you are within 12 months of your retirment date at the end of your shore duty you should be able to extend your PRD. Otherwise you can expect a 12 month GSA. I just had this discussion with the detailer. If I don't make DH on this board I will probably retire at the end of next year (21 years total). I will have to extend my PRD 10 months to line up with my retirment date and so I can get a full 36 as an O-4. Until you decide for sure I would stay on glide slope. Lots can change over 3-4 years and you don't want to shoot yourself to early.

Your mileage my vary.