• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2 F-16s Collide Off SC Coast; 1 Missing

phrogpilot73

A tragedy for all involved, however I noticed this tidbit...

Hull logged more than 25,000 hours flying for the U.S. Navy.
I'm guessing that they misplaced a decimal... 5,000 is a ridiculously high amount for Naval Aviators. I'm guessing they meant 2,500...

Clux4

Banned
That could be his total time assuming he went to fly for the airline but the reporter misrepresented it to mean his time in the Hornet.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Col. Joseph Guastella, 20th Fighter Wing Commander said the planes were carrying stimulated bombs and flying at medium altitude above the ocean. Officials said all planes are currently grounded at Shaw.

Not to make light of the situation, but spellcheck is crucial...

Clux4

Banned
Col. Joseph Guastella, 20th Fighter Wing Commander said the planes were carrying stimulated bombs and flying at medium altitude above the ocean. Officials said all planes are currently grounded at Shaw.

Not to make light of the situation, but spellcheck is crucial...

I read that but did not want to make light of it. You assume the reporter had an idea of what it should be. I am sure he said simulated and he/she thought it was stimulated. When you do not have any background knowledge, anything sounds about right to you.

phrogpilot73

That could be his total time assuming he went to fly for the airline but the reporter misrepresented it to mean his time in the Hornet.
I doubt it. 25,000 hours is high even for military + airline + reserve military time. A4s has a lot, but if I remember correctly - it sure isn't 25,000 hours...

Lawman

None
I doubt it. 25,000 hours is high even for military + airline + reserve military time. A4s has a lot, but if I remember correctly - it sure isn't 25,000 hours...

We've got a couple of LSI guys crawling around down here with that kind of time, but they've been flying since Vietnam and instructing since retirement.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
I believe it's either the new CNATRA or new commodore of TW-1 has about 7~8000, I know the old commodore said it was a feat to have that kind of time in a career.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

My Grandfather had that 25,000 in 727's alone but he started flying them in 64 and retired in 82 flying them for Eastern. Prior to that he flew (starting with Eastern in 52) the Martin 404, Convair 440, DC-4, DC-7, the Constellation, DC-8 and the Electra.

Prior to that it was WWII training and as military then contract instructor in Pt-17, AT-6, T-34, T-28 and Vultees. He then ran a business doing aerial prospecting for uranium in NM, owned an FBO and managed a minor league baseball team (and was the owners pilot in a Stinson) in San Angelo TX.

I have his logbooks and I've not totaled up the all types time but they read like an aviation history book. The man was my hero.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
My Grandfather had that 25,000 in 727's alone but he started flying them in 64 and retired in 82 flying them for Eastern. Prior to that he flew (starting with Eastern in 52) the Martin 404, Convair 440, DC-4, DC-7, the Constellation, DC-8 and the Electra.

Prior to that it was WWII training and as military then contract instructor in Pt-17, AT-6, T-34, T-28 and Vultees. He then ran a business doing aerial prospecting for uranium in NM, owned an FBO and managed a minor league baseball team (and was the owners pilot in a Stinson) in San Angelo TX.

I have his logbooks and I've not totaled up the all types time but they read like an aviation history book. The man was my hero.

How do I get this job?? :D I want to settle down in Santa Fe.....

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

That's an amazing history. I could imagine reading those logbooks like a novel.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
How do I get this job?? :D I want to settle down in Santa Fe.....

They did in fact, fly out of Santa Fe. He said the Super Cubs were pretty tired and the detection equipment weight put them at or over max gross so they would find a parking lot and circle in the thermal to get up to altitude to head out over the desert.

I guess I've threadjacked this enough from a thread for a missing brother. Hope the best for him.