• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

20 JUN 06 Florala Burrito Run

MasterBates

Anyone NPA/NSE/NDZ IP/Studs doing a Florala Out & In tonight?

We'll be rolling in about 2230 Local (central) in Proud Warrior 423. I'll be dragging a couple recent rag eascapees with me.

MasterBates

Denied my burritos by a lack of Nr indication. (This is the rotor wing equiv of lack of airspeed indication w/no AOA indication)

Damn ancient Block Zero!

(Cue up Adam Sandler's P.O.S. Car)

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Well thats a kick in the nuts if I've ever heard of one. And Moe's is no substitute for a Florala burrito.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Love it...LOVE IT!!!!

OMIA.JPG

Nr is the middle of 3 indicators (showing 100) on the left.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Yep, the common, multi-mission cockpit of the Sierra and Romeo...

4 steam gauges...Backup Altimeter, A/S, Attitude indicator, and stabilator position indicator. Everything else comes from ADC 1 and 2 (air data computer...takes the pitot static/GPS info and converts to 1s and 0s including additional calculations such as track over ground (small blue triangle on RMI) and estimated wind position/strength (small blue arrow in center of RMI))

MasterBates

Yeah, that looks NOTHING like my cockpit.

Also lost both Np indications, and "Low Rotor RPM" came on.

Biggest worry was if this was in the ECU's, and kept up that the ECU's would think that the RPM was 70%, try to drive the turbines to "100%" and trip the overspeeds at 120% before I could pull enough collective to keep it down, and convince the green (less than 75 hours in model) H2P to pull PCLs back with less than "100%" Nr. to take the ECUs out of the loop.

Nevermind that flying with a high side that looks like a low side with no Nr indication is a PITA. I did this once on an FCF and it SUCKS.

Instrument auto with no Nr indication

KBayDog

MasterBates said:
Denied my burritos by a lack of Nr indication. (This is the rotor wing equiv of lack of airspeed indication w/no AOA indication)

Try this one on for size: Look up - if the fan is a-spinnin', you know you've got a positive Nr indication. :D

I made it to Florala last night in my orange-and-white radial interceptor (complete with a fully-functional Nr gauge). No worries; I ate enough burritos for you and your entire crew...and then departed via the world-famous "Burrito-One" student SID.

MasterBates

Mefesto, we normally take 3800-4000#'s full load. 600# min on deck fuel.

Anywhere from 850lb/hr to 1200lb/hr depending on what you do, how heavy you are and how old the engines are.

3.5 hour bags are norm, I have logged a 4.3 in a Block 0 (light stripped old version) flying at Max Conserve (65 kts).

We can carry Aux Tanks on the block 1's but I have never seen them.

Theoretically unlimited endurance with HIFR, but I have never done that for real. Have hooked up, but never passed gas.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
60S has 2400 lbs. About 2 hrs. Aux tank on block 2 A/C adds 1200# for another hr or so.

~D

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Damn.. didn't realize you guys sip gas like that... must be nice!

Yeah, you use more on takeoff than we do in a 2 hr flight ;)

MasterBates said:
You have block 2 already!!@

WTF. We have Block 1+ after 20+ years

It's a ba$terdized Block 2...has 4th hyd system (utility only, not part of flight controls) for "sled towing" and whatnot...tests show that we are definitely not even close to making that happen, so they are continuing with the Block 3, armed helo concept.

Remember too, that the SH-60 was made for the Navy. The MH-60S was a Blackhawk frame made for the army that was painted grey and stenciled NAVY...Meaning that OUR block 2 and 3 have been tried and tested as HH-60G Pavehawks and what not...a lot of the kinks have already been worked out.

The biggest problem with the 60S is that the blade-fold system had introduced new and unforecasted vibrations on the airframe...resulting in structural cracks after only 400-1000 hrs on the aircraft...a lot of our birds have PMI addresses and pain-in-the-a$$ special inspections.

Just a few differences...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
MasterBates said:
Biggest worry was if this was in the ECU's, and kept up that the ECU's would think that the RPM was 70%, try to drive the turbines to "100%" and trip the overspeeds at 120% before I could pull enough collective to keep it down, and convince the green (less than 75 hours in model) H2P to pull PCLs back with less than "100%" Nr. to take the ECUs out of the loop.

Nevermind that flying with a high side that looks like a low side with no Nr indication is a PITA. I did this once on an FCF and it SUCKS.

Instrument auto with no Nr indication

So you mean I can't forget all the stuff I briefed about the HMU/ECU the other night?:eek: jk

So was it the DECUs or IDECUs? Just curious as to which one is in the actual helos.

MasterBates

I think HSL-60 has 1-2 ECUs left. 40 has some DECUs. All the birds at my squadron (42) have I-DECUs as far as I know.

When I got out of 40 (Aug 03) there were still some ECU/DECUs at 42.