• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 years old and wanting to possibly join Navy. Questions.

Mustang302

I have no absolutely no clue what is required to become a navy officer. I've read countless posts here and gone to Navy.com only to become more confused. Im 23, no direction in life and am bored. I have about 40 units done in school, which not so grat of a GPA(2.0) due to going to bars and being that typical teenager. Ive always had an intrest in the Navy but never pursued anything because i thought i'd be giving up too much, but after evaluating many things i'd have a much better life being in service.I hear all these people mentioning all these acronyms on what to join or what school to goto. My goal is to become an officer. Can anyone lay out a quick crash course on what i need to do and the best ways to go about it to get that goal. I want to be well imformed so when i see a recruiter im not fed a bunch of BS. Thanks :)

Well, the first thing you need to do is get your GPA up to a respectable level. Most people being selected recently seem to have GPAs in the 3.2+ range at least. Luckily you've only taken around 40 credits, so this is at least possible within the next couple years.

I'd also recommend studying to take the ASTB, which you will need a good score on before you will be able to submit any applications. If you score well on that (and unless you are able to get your GPA up a good deal, you will need to score extremely well), that will both impress your recruiter (he'll take you more seriously if you do well) and be a good mark on your application when the review board takes a look at it.

It'll help your cause if you are the captain of the football team or something, but any high school or college level sports looks good on the application. Community service and volunteer work are also plusses.

Since you still have a while left before you graduate from college, the BDCP program is open to you. That program is very competitive, but it's a path to a commission. Information on that program is here: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm#1

You could probably also look into ROTC, but that may or may not be available where you are going to college. I don't know much about ROTC stuff so I won't add anything else.

The most important thing though will be getting your GPA up. The minimum GPA for the BDCP program is 2.7, and I don't know anyone who picked up BDCP with even that low a GPA. Not sure what the minimum GPA is for direct accession, but it's probably higher than 2.0.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
#1 get your grades up
#2 work out a lot
#3 come up with some direct pointed questions, do some research then ask questions. Noone here is going to be able to hand you the magic key to a commission,YOU WILL HAVE TO WORK DAMN HARD FOR IT. It is very doable and I know many Officers who "had no direction in life" and became very sucessful but only through hard work-are you sensing a trend yet?

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
That could be questionable. I am currently on the other end of NATOPS and in a completely different platform. P-3s are similar to helos, right? Just got to turn the rotor sideways.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hurry

Age. No one has said anything about your age. All the above is good gouge (well, not so sure about the circus, the elephants stink and grease paint is hard on your complexion) but age is going to be a factor. If you want to be a Naval Officer then take the above advise and don't waste any time. Most programs have a max age of "commissioned by the age of 27". Age is considered a competitive factor though. That means all things being equal, they will take the younger guy. If a guy is closer to that 27 year old limit, then he better have something to show for his age, or an outstanding app. You can do it. Just get on with it. Having a goal like becoming a Naval Officer can give someone enough focus and motivation to make great strides. Good luck.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
joboy666 said:
typical "teenager" at the bars? You realize a fake ID is a federal offense...that's why we college students drink at home! (or claim we drink in countries we can legally drink in) :D
Didn't somebody try and "solve the recruiting issue" by proposing legislation that would allow service members under 21 to drink?

Navy91

Can you swim? Enlist as a rescue swimmer. That will teach you soon enough if you want to be a pilot or not. I think the max age for flight school is 30 - enlist for four years; if you really want to be a pilot, you can continue to go to school part time, and get accepted into the Enlisted Commission PRogram.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can you swim? Enlist as a rescue swimmer. That will teach you soon enough if you want to be a pilot or not. I think the max age for flight school is 30 - enlist for four years; if you really want to be a pilot, you can continue to go to school part time, and get accepted into the Enlisted Commission PRogram.

What's that?

Brett

Navy91

Enlisted Commission Program is what Seaman To Admiral used to be called. My bad.

Bottom line, every year the Navy accepts enlisted Sailors into commissioning programs. If this guy really wants to be an officer, I think enlisting would be a good reality check for him...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enlisted Commission Program is what Seaman To Admiral used to be called. My bad.

Bottom line, every year the Navy accepts enlisted Sailors into commissioning programs. If this guy really wants to be an officer, I think enlisting would be a good reality check for him...

I disagree. Enlisting will only complicate and lengthen the process and make it all the more difficult to focus on his studies. If his goal is to be an officer, he needs to stay in school and get his grades up. This issue seems to get rehashed every few months - let's not take another trip around the circle.

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor

Rescue Swimmer?? Pilot?? :confused:

All AW's are swimmer qualified, no? Even so, how will being a swimmer help you know if you want to be a pilot?

Swim?? vs. Fly... :confused:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rescue Swimmer?? Pilot?? :confused:

All AW's are swimmer qualified, no? Even so, how will being a swimmer help you know if you want to be a pilot?

Swim?? vs. Fly... :confused:

Only helo AWs are SAR swimmers, although there have been a few P-3 AWs that I've wanted to kick out the main cabin door.

Brett