• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

5 year sea tours

FlyingBeagle

pilot
There is a story in the Navy Times about a new plan to go to 5 year sea tours instead of the current rotation. Sounds like the plan is based around crew swapping and outsourcing admin jobs at shore facilities and so on. I know this is a long time away and that this is so new people probably don't know much about it, but I was wondering how this is going to affect us. The Admiral claimed that this doesn't necessarily mean more sea time, but even if this is true, it sure sounds like its going to make life a hell of a lot less predictable. Does anyone have any info on this or expect good/bad things from it?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a story in the Navy Times about a new plan to go to 5 year sea tours instead of the current rotation. Sounds like the plan is based around crew swapping and outsourcing admin jobs at shore facilities and so on. I know this is a long time away and that this is so new people probably don't know much about it, but I was wondering how this is going to affect us. The Admiral claimed that this doesn't necessarily mean more sea time, but even if this is true, it sure sounds like its going to make life a hell of a lot less predictable. Does anyone have any info on this or expect good/bad things from it?
That doesn't seem very likely or doable, at least the way the tours are structured right now. Everything for aviators is kind of built on when you're most likely to make rank. That scenario would put most people around the 7-8 year mark after only having completed their first sea tour. Even if they shortened the shore tour, seems like they would have a huge glut of O-4s (the horror!) getting selected at the end of that tour. You'd also have a bunch of people completing their commitment after only one tour and getting out in lieu of taking unfavorable shore tour assignments. I wouldn't put too much credence in anything you read in Navy Times, but then again, the Navy has done stranger things than that.

Brett

phrogpilot73

You'd also have a bunch of people completing their commitment after only one tour and getting out in lieu of taking unfavorable shore tour assignments.
Sounds like the way the Marine Corps does things... We (and I mean Phrog guys) don't move until we've done two floats. That means you could be in a squadron from 4-5 years. Most people tend to either go on to a sweet job, or take a sh!tty one for a year and get out. We'll see if I get the orders I want - if not, you can call me "Mr."

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I have heard that the Navy times throws a lot of misleading stuff out there, but this article was an interview with the Vice Admiral who is the Nacy's chief of personnel. I guess they always could have misreported what he was trying to say or something like that though. Would it be possible to have the surface fleet doing something like this and the aviators sticking to the current system or if they did something like this would it have to include everyone. I guess the good thing would be that it sounds like you spend shorter times at sea, although more frequent, and that you wouldn't be moved around so much (although that might also be a shame). They mentioned in BOLTC how the Navy wanted to change the deployment cycle, but they said they weren't sure how it would affect quality of life.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would it be possible to have the surface fleet doing something like this and the aviators sticking to the current system
I can't speak for the aviators, but SWO's won't be doing 5 year sea tours, not for Divos, DH's, XO's or CO's. I'm sitting smack in the middle of SWO mecca and haven't heard or read anything about this.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The CNO is putting a very high priority on graduate and professional education. Hasn't he said JPME-1 must be completed for guys to make O-4/5 after 2007? Like mentioned above, 5 year sea tour, getting the education thing done and making rank will be tough. Of course, they can just redfine "sea tour" to mean something completley different