• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

50 Years of P-3s

KBayDog

Love the picture of the crosscut saw. :D

Any idea of the age of the oldest Orion still in service? How about the oldest one anyone on here has flown?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I think I flew on one that was made in 68, definitely ones from the early 70s though.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
I read the NASA Wallops birds are the oldest, and they still fly regularly.

Flugelman

Contributor
Flew on P-3A BuNo 152169 back in early 70's. We had one P-3A older in the 150XXX range which we used as a project aircraft but my memory fails me on the BuNo.:(

An interesting website here with lots of detail, although I found some erroneous dates.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've flown some 157 BUNOs

All the EP-3Es when I was in the squadron were 156s from '68/'69 or so, they had been pulled form the boneyard and converted.

I am pretty sure I have a 150XXX in my logbook, we had two VP-3As in VQ-1 until the late 90s, as well as a UP-3B that is now NASA's NP-3B test bird. IIRC PACFLT had a 149XXX VP-3A in the late 90s too, rougher/more worn looking cockpit than I expected for a VIP bird.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I have all the BUNOs of all the P3s I've worked on written down, it appears the oldest one is a 152XXX.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
We had a 158XXX bird that turned 35 on deployment. We threw her a birthday party, complete with cake, party hats, and schwarma.

Ah, deployment. . .