• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

60 Minutes Report on the Israeli Air Force

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
The Commander of the Israeli Air Force get to fly every airframe - whenever he wants. Cool job!

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Getting drafted to be a fighter pilot and not initially wanting it... thats a tough concept for me to wrap my mind around.

One thing I didn't like was how the narrator repeated "the era of the dogfight is over" a couple times. People thought that once before.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
One thing I didn't like was how the narrator repeated "the era of the dogfight is over" a couple times. People thought that once before.
You know something we do not know? Most A/A kills will be BVR but that does not mean you do not practice knife fighting.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I thought that THIS was the most formidable Israeli war machine...

zohanposter.jpg

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I was just referring to the coming-of-age of missile technology between the Korean and Vietnam wars and how there was temporary paradigm shift from the use of guns to 100% reliance on missles. People thought the 'era of the dogfight' was over then. The most glaring example being that the original production model of the F-4 was gunless. That and dogfight tactics were either no longer a part of the curiculum or at least not given as much attention because it was thought pilots wouldn't need them anymore. This was until some pretty attrocious w/l ratios sparked a partial return to the old ways. I thought this was the main reason that the Navy Fighter Weapons School was developed. Some of my facts might be a little shakey as I wasn't alive for any of this. However, this is history, as least so much as the Military and History Channel(s) teach it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was just referring to the coming-of-age of missile technology between the Korean and Vietnam wars and how there was temporary paradigm shift from the use of guns to 100% reliance on missles. People thought the 'era of the dogfight' was over then. The most glaring example being that the original production model of the F-4 was gunless. That and dogfight tactics were either no longer a part of the curiculum or at least not given as much attention because it was thought pilots wouldn't need them anymore. This was until some pretty attrocious w/l ratios sparked a partial return to the old ways. I thought this was the main reason that the Navy Fighter Weapons School was developed. Some of my facts might be a little shakey as I wasn't alive for any of this. However, this is history, as least so much as the Military and History Channel(s) teach it.

TOPGUN, much?

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I suppose instead of being so wordy I could've just supported my initial comment by pointing to the opening blurb of that movie.