• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A-7 maintenance question for the old timers

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My dad volunteers at an air museum in upstate NY which has an A-7E in their collection, I believe on loan from Pensacola. Apparently, they were informed that one of the conditions of the loan is that they keep the cockpit ventilated to avoid condensation. This hasn't been done. The staff is a bunch of retired folks for the most part, and some people are arguing to just cut a hole somewhere to complete the requirement. My dad is trying to find a way to do this without taking a hacksaw to an old jet.

We talked on the phone about the basics of how ECS systems and pressurization work. I'm sure a lot (if not all) of the valves are electrically operated, and also that a decommissioned engineless jet which has surely been stripped for parts probably wouldn't take ground power. Thus I thought the best way to get the ventilation was for him to yank the cockpit ram air and pressure relief valves completely out to get free airflow. But not having ever flown or worked on A-7s, I was wondering if anyone here could enlighten us as to how one could acquire the requisite maintenance pubs to do so? Do NATOPS and maintenance pubs fall under FOIA? Would the museum in P-cola have them? Or have they all been shredded when the Corsairs all went to the boneyard?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... stuff ........
HEY!!! Who are you callin' an "ol' timer" ... ???? :D

Is it a static display??

If so, I'd "open" all the pressurization/outflow valves, try some heavy-duty replaceable desiccants, and let the good times roll ... upstate NY should not be a major problem w/ humidity and/or condensation "inside" for most of the year .... ??? But then again, that's what I thought about Minnesota (a.k.a. North Korea) until I went up there ... :eek:

Is the bird outside?? If not, leave the canopy open. Game over.

Condensation is not a problem w/ the A-4's @ the Barber's Point "museum". The "guy" just opens the canopy every few days and lets me sit on the seat ... :D

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hoze - If you could do so, I'll buy you beer if we ever run into each other.

A4s - Yup, it's a static display outside. Otherwise I'm sure the canopy would be open and it'd be all nice and shiny. Unfortunately, the museum is on the same field as Stratton ANGB but doesn't have the funds to hangar all the jets. It's a shame as they have a Vigi, Tomcat, Phantom, Gnat, F-5, F-101, MiG-17, MiG-21, and A-10 as well. Oh, and an A-4 and A-6 too. :D

Didn't think about the desiccants; I'm sure a few bricks of silica gel would do just fine. I don't think it's quite Minnesota but they do get their share of snow, ice and general nastiness in winter. Summers can get hot and somewhat humid (mid-high 80s) but not on the level of satanic Mississippi heinousness.

Just found the photo gallery at their website: This is the specimen in question.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The USS Midway Museum has a large group of aircraft restoration volunteers, experienced and currently active in the restoration of a large number of aircraft, including A-7's. I'm sure they would help with some questions.

Here is their contact page:
http://www.midwaysaircraft.org/contacts.htm

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I'll head over to the museum after this Gustav crap moves along...however, the beer is cold and tasty!

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Moved out of the Private forum as I realized some of our, ahem, experienced maintenance folks might be able to shed light, and so my Dad can read it.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Try going up through the nose wheel well to the cockpit. Will need to screen off whatever hole you create to keep birds, mice and such out.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Try going up through the nose wheel well to the cockpit. Will need to screen off whatever hole you create to keep birds, mice and such out.
That's been discussed. That's what we're trying to avoid; hacksaws, can openers, and such.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a display bird, right? Non-flying? Does that matter?

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I can put you in touch with an A-7 pilot, CAPT Leenhouts. He's got most of his time in it - 3k hrs I think - and I'm sure he'll know something, he's a historian himself so he would be a good POC. PM me if interested.