• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Class Act - Blues' Skipper Steps down.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I'm a bit disappointed. Was down in Pensacola in March for a practice, and it was abbreviated and also an hour early, so I basically saw 4 and 5 fly around for about 20 min.

Then we had planned on going to Evansville to see them, but apparently that's a no go now.

I guess I will have to wait til next year when I'm in flight school to see them finally.

That said, I'm impressed with the CO for giving up that command over this. Definitely takes a certain kind of character.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
I have a ton of respect for those who know their own limitations and choose to walk away rather than be a possible danger to those around them.

jmcquate

Contributor
I think it was in the early 80's, Thunderbbirds lost 1 thru 4 doing a Line Abreast Loop during a practice session.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I have a ton of respect for those who know their own limitations and choose to walk away rather than be a possible danger to those around them.

My gut feeling tells me that it's the skippers who step down themselves, rather than the ones who are forced to leave, that are the ones you probably want to keep.

jtmedli

pilot
My gut feeling tells me that the skippers that it's step down themselves, rather than the ones who are forced to leave, that are the ones you probably want to keep.

That's a stand up move no matter how you look at it. Definitely have to have major respect for a man like that.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
After reading the story I expected to see a Hornet about 20' off the deck. I know that altitude rules are hard and fast, so how much did they break it by? I've seen the Blues many times, but I probably wouldn't have noticed the hiccup.

jmcquate

Contributor
After reading the story I expected to see a Hornet about 20' off the deck. I know that altitude rules are hard and fast, so how much did they break it by? I've seen the Blues many times, but I probably wouldn't have noticed the hiccup.

Watch it again and notice how the Diamond spits up near the bottom of the loop. That's not part of the maneuver. That's the point where the Boss made the determination that he did not have the altitude to safely complete the maneuver and gave the command for the Diamond to separate and gain altitude. The only pilot looking forward is the Boss. Where he goes, 2 thru 4 go, including the ground.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
On NBC Nightly News last night, they said they were about 130', and should've been at 500'. I don't fly yet, so no idea what the deck is supposed to be, but you all can argue it out.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The latest update in the general media is 130'AGL (vs 500' minimum for that maneuver- according to the article picked up by the Pensacola News Journal). Not sure which of the four planes they mean though- that makes a difference but at the same time it doesn't make a difference.

(That and in the other AW thread, JoshDavid's assessment of 1-2 plane lengths was pretty close.)

navyao

I feel bad for the Boss, I bet he feels like crap. I was planning on making the trip to Rockford - oh well. I used to think that would be the cats ass going to the Blues, then I grew up and realized the schedule is worse than being in a hook squadron - no thank you. My cover comes off to those guys; aircrew as well as the MECHS but that wouldn't be for me. Now the former boss, he gets pulled out of his current billet and re-assigned to his former Command, talk about having to change your mindset. I know, I know, needs of the Navy.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So I've been looking at the video for this flight, as well as the video of the Thunderbird that bottomed out of a loop at an airshow. What circumstances lead to not leaving yourself enough room at the bottom of a loop? Is it purely SA, or do environmentals, power available, weather, etc. play a role?