• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A pilot's career path

sm_news

Hello world:

I'm a Cpl currently deployed in Iraq. I've been considering a comission for quite some time now, and I've been doing all I can to maximise my chances for success (better pft scores, marine corps training, college classes). I plan to reenlist and do counterintelligence so by the time my second contract is about up, I should be done with my college degree.

When I was first interested in pursuing a career as an officer, the intelligence field caught my attention, but since I've been deployed my interests are leaning more and more towards being a naval aviator (specially an AH-1 pilot). I understand that like everything in the Marine Corps, specific jobs and airframes aren't guaranteed, but it's my absolute intention to do my best to get what I'm going after. I've read a little bit about pilot's other colateral duties, and I'd still like to be involved with the intelligence field in some way.

What are the possibilities that I'd be able to be involved with intelligence during or after my tour as a pilot? Do pilots get a chance to explore these other fields? What's a realistic scenario in this case?

phrogpilot73

What are the possibilities that I'd be able to be involved with intelligence during or after my tour as a pilot? Do pilots get a chance to explore these other fields? What's a realistic scenario in this case?
First float pilots are generally stuck with the S-2 officer billet. Unless you go on a MEU float, then the squadron rates a school trained intel officer. After the first float, you wouldn't get much of a chance to do anything with intel.

You could always hang up flying and do a lat move... That's about the only way you can explore other career fields.

sm_news

I was considering a latmove as soon as I'd be able to but I've heard that this would not be a good move when it comes to proficiency in an MOS and promotions. Do you have any knowledge on that?

phrogpilot73

I was considering a latmove as soon as I'd be able to but I've heard that this would not be a good move when it comes to proficiency in an MOS and promotions. Do you have any knowledge on that?
Honestly, I know nothing about lat moves. I've wanted to be a pilot and nothing more since I was 6.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
On the Navy side of the house, Aviators can't lat transfer until the aviation commitment is up...what that also means is that they'll be nearing 0-4 by the time the can switch. That can be a problem since most communites have the majority of their lat xfer quotas in the 0-2/Junior 0-3 range.

P3_to_Apache

Try looking into the Army Warrant Officer program...it's a really good program and I know alot of Marines that have done it. Plus you get to fly a Helo thats 100 times better than the Cobra.....the Apache....

sm_news

Sorry sir, I'm in love with the corps. Basically, cobras fascinate the hell out of me, but I want to end up in an intelligence billet/MOS.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Lat moves are tough to do, and will definitely put you in terminal rank if you succeed. You can do intel-related work, though. You can be a FAC with a Recon or now, a MARSOC unit. You won't directly work intel, but you'll be on the pointy end of collecting it. You can also apply for Regional Affairs Officer or Foreign Affairs Officer, and your B-Billet will be about being an expert in a particular country or region. Eventually, you could be a naval attache, and guess what? Gathering intel is a key part of their jobs.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Try looking into the Army Warrant Officer program...it's a really good program and I know alot of Marines that have done it. Plus you get to fly a Helo thats 100 times better than the Cobra.....the Apache....

skid skid this is your que to chime in =)

Outside of that sm, I'm also a Cpl. and I got all contracted up right after my freshman year. I say go for it... like phrogdriver said, theres alot of intel-related jobs that you can get into after your first flying tour ... and besides, you never know how you'll feel after another tour my friend... you may be ready to swing with the wing for a while.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Depending on your age and the amount of classes remaining before you get your degree, you may want to consider getting out of the Corps and joining the NROTC at a college. It is the most sure fire way to becoming an officer.

I wish now that I had this focus when I got out, but I figured I'd be out of the military for the rest of my life. I cleared that idea in my senior year of school.

If NROTC doesn't work, you can apply for BDCP and then regular OCS.

Bottom line, re-enlisting may not be the best path to a commission, and you can alway re-up after college if for some reason things don't click.