• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A storm-chasing Warthog?

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Going to have to load A LOT of gear into the area where that gun was - I'm sure there are some CG issues with removing that thing.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Article was written in 2011 and said first flight in 2012 with first operational flight in 2013. CIRPAS website doesn't offer any additional info; I wonder what became of the concept?

jmcquate

Contributor
I remember a while back that NASA had an OV-10 in the Cleveland hanger that was for getting struck by lightning.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I love the A-10 and would love for a chance to fly one, but through a thunderstorm? Fuck that.

jmcquate

Contributor
Nice coke bottle on that photo angle on the 102. Is that some sort of air breathing missile on the F-82?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Going to have to load A LOT of gear into the area where that gun was - I'm sure there are some CG issues with removing that thing.

IIRC when they remove the gun for servicing or whatever, they have to install a jack under the tail because the CG is so messed up with the gun removed that the aircraft would tip over without it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure how much armor would help with icing or turbulence or wind shear, but I'm not a meteorologist, so what do I know?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice coke bottle on that photo angle on the 102. Is that some sort of air breathing missile on the F-82?

That is actually an F-106B, TF-102A's had 'side-by-side' seating like an A-6 or F-111 and had two fairings on either side of the engine nozzle where the F-106 did not. Here is a TF-102A:

Convair_TF-102A_Delta_Dagger_on_lakebed.png

As for NASA's F-106B it was actually a lightning research aircraft, so not only did the plane fly into storms it was supposed to get hit by lightning. And it was hit, 714 times.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is actually an F-106B
Yes, the F-106 is an F-106 due to the intakes being mounted further up on the fuselage and smaller. But jmcquate is referring to the F-82, as in the siamese P-51s, which do have something funny-looking under the right wing in the photo. Reminds me of a Talos missile, but that was bigger and a Navy project.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, the F-106 is an F-106 due to the intakes being mounted further up on the fuselage and smaller. But jmcquate is referring to the F-82, as in the siamese P-51s, which do have something funny-looking under the right wing in the photo. Reminds me of a Talos missile, but that was bigger and a Navy project.

He referred to the 106 as a 102 in addition to talking about the F-82. See below:

Nice coke bottle on that photo angle on the 102.

After doing some very light digging the F-82 pictured in this thread is called 'Betty Jo/e' and was used for a record non-stop flight from Hawaii to New York in 1947, then later by the NACA in ramjet research and she now resides in the USAF Museum in Dayton.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Yes, the F-106 is an F-106 due to the intakes being mounted further up on the fuselage and smaller.

That's how I always remembered which one was which when I was a kid reading every book in the library on aviation. Cool bunch of fighters those Century series birds...