• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A weather question

J-Do

I am getting this concept of advection fog, that it occurs when wind blows warmer sea air onto cooler land masses, and that a land breeze occurs when the sea air is warmer than the land right by the sea, so when the land is cooler than the sea.

So is a land breeze the wind that fuels advection fog?

thanks

joeyF-18

The land mass cools a lot faster than water. So when the cooler air stats to flow to the sea, because of the rising air from the water what warm air is left over the land mass starts to condence on small dust or whatever may be floating in the air at the time. Thuse is also how you get clouds, but just a little different. I hope that is the answer you were looking for.

selmacf7

No... a land breeze is sort of the opposite of a sea breeze... as sun shines on a coast line the land, as mentioned before, warms more quickly than the surrounding water (specific heat, i think). Warm air rises. Result is a local low pressure region, with high pressure existing over the water. Wind flows from high to low and the result is a sea breeze. At night land cools faster than water, so the result is warm water heating an air mass, causing convection and assosciated low pressure region. Wind blows offshore and the result is a land breeze....

Advection fog is less of a phenomenon and more of a weather system (kinda sorta, you'll see what I'm getting at). With advection fog you need a warm air mass to exist over a cold body of water (kind of like in the beginning of a land breeze), but prevailing winds have to advect (push) it over a land mass. In addition, the airmass has to become saturated as it is moved over the cold water, then come ashore as fog, hence the term advection. In Fl, some sort of land or seabreeze occurs probably 180 days of the year, but I've never witnessed advection fog, due to the lack of a near-shore cold current. During periods of upwelling the case may be different.

We see radiation fog nightly in forested areas though... espescially in the fall/winter.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
And don't forget that fog itself usually only occurs when winds are calm/variable and dew pt split is <3deg...