• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I recently found this site and thought it was interesting. All you old timers can find your beginnings. For you guys in Pcola, check out what the navy hospital/shopping mall property used to be.

website

A4s...I'm sorry about the background they use

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, cool site...kinda cool to see all the old fields around Pcola...and how some of them used to be a lot bigger...like Bloody Barin.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I recently found this site ...
A4s...I'm sorry about the background they use
No harm ... no foul. I've been "here" for a couple of years ... good/great stuff about the old fields.

Saufley Field?? Where it ALL began ... :)

Saufley_FL_color.jpg

Corry Field ???
4 Silo Farm ??
Silverhill ??
Barin ??
Chevalier ??

Bronson ??? That's where I did my original T-2 field bounce for the boat in the T-2 . We never WENT to the boat
(Basic Jet) ... cause there was an accident on the deck and a guy got killed on the LEX ... but that's another story.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Very interesting site. I'd always wondered what Ellyson was, never knew while I was there.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Very interesting site. I'd always wondered what Ellyson was, never knew while I was there.

Ellyson was kind of interesting. I think it still showed up on the Pensacola Area Training Chart. I had to go up there once for a sanitation bill issue, and the old hangars and control tower are still there amidst all the other industrial park buildings.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None

Bronson ??? That's where I did my original T-2 field bounce for the boat in the T-2 . We never WENT to the boat
(Basic Jet) ... cause there was an accident on the deck and a guy got killed on the LEX ... but that's another story.

T-2's... yeah.. those things are still buzzing around P-cola...

plc67

pilot
Well, that website officially places me in the geezer category. I got my wings at NAS Ellyson in April,1971 and it was quite the going concern back then. Nothing like the massive Army rotary wing machine up at Fort Rucker but busy enough for me. Back then it was all HT-8 with the syllabus divided into A,B,C and D phases. A phase being in the TH-57A and the rest in the TH-1L.
Great website, though.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Ellyson was kind of interesting. I think it still showed up on the Pensacola Area Training Chart. I had to go up there once for a sanitation bill issue, and the old hangars and control tower are still there amidst all the other industrial park buildings.

I could see the hangar buildings down the street when driving down Davis, and noticed they looked like the ones all over Pcola, ie Corry. I also found some interesting ones about old WWI fields back where I grew up in Fort Worth that I never knew existed.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There were many, many little practice fields left over from WW2 in the P-COLA area and we used most of them. All the helo STUDs used to go to Ellyson when they got rotary wing. I'm a little fuzzy, but if memory serves ... circa late '60's:

VT-1 @ Saufley for Primary and solo (ALWAYS solo @ Silverhill) --- then selection for Jet or no Jet... for everyone

Then:
Meridian for Basic Jets
-or-
Whiting for Basic everything else ...
-then-

Ellyson for Helo's + Wings
Corpus for Props + Wings
Beeville/Kingsville for Jets + Wings

*edit* ... sorry -- forgot about our NFO brethren ... all stayed in P-COLA @ Mainside and got Wings out of VT-10 and/or VT-86 when -10 couldn't handle all the workload.

Life was good .... :)

Death Rattler

pilot
8 Able, a grass field west of Saufley...instructor took me there on about A11 hop. Did a couple of touch and gos. He said "make the next one a full stop"...got out, cinched up the straps in the back seat and told me to make two touch and gos then a full stop and pick him up. He said "You better not leave me here"....The next hop was my "solo" flight, but I`ll always remember the 8 Able day as my real solo...later, after North Whiting (T28`s)and then formation at South Whiting some of us were sent to Navy Millington, just north of Memphis for basic jet instruments in the back seat of the T2V (super dooper T33) then to Chase for F9F`s and F11F`s. Long time ago.....