• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active Duty Commitment

mark reeves

I'm considering taking the SNA route in the Marine Corps, and I'm getting conflicting responses as to when the service obligation for pilots begins. I've heard that the six to eight year commitment starts as soon as you are commissioned, and I've also heard that it starts as soon as you graduate flight school. Could someone please provide some clarification? Also, on average, how long does it take to get winged (including OCS and TBS)? Thank you.

phrogpilot73

Commitment starts when you get your wings. However, if you DOR/NPQ - the original commitment you sign up for comes into play.

Including TBS, expect it'll take you anywhere from 3-4 years. I got commissioned in May '98, and didn't hit the fleet until August '01. And I was a helo guy with the "short" syllabus.

navy09

None
I've heard that the six to eight year commitment...

Not really my bag, but this seems to be a discrepancy that a lot of people have...thinking that it's 8 for jets, 6 for helos...or something like that.

Anyway, just FYI- it's 8 for pilots of all airframes, 6 for NFO (flight officers). So based on what Phrog said, you're looking at 11-12 years as a Marine SNA from the day you commission to the day you can get out.

phrogpilot73

Not really my bag, but this seems to be a discrepancy that a lot of people have...thinking that it's 8 for jets, 6 for helos...or something like that.

Anyway, just FYI- it's 8 for pilots of all airframes, 6 for NFO (flight officers). So based on what Phrog said, you're looking at 11-12 years as a Marine SNA from the day you commission to the day you can get out.
As far as I know, that's true for the Navy but not the USMC. The current NAVMC 10463 (Marine Corps Aviation Service Agreement) states: 96 months for fixed wing pilot, 72 months for all others.

torpedo0126

For the Navy it used to be a "progressive" service scale like that. Now it is 8 years after winging for all aviators, and 6 years for NFOs.

It looks like the Marine issue has been resolved.