• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active Duty Experiences

sbfighter

I'm just looking for some insight to the overall life of a naval aviator from being commissioned to no longer being an active duty officer (or into Reserve if you joined). Post what you did and how long you did it for.. and whatever else you want to add.

So far I gather this:

First operational tour is almost always 3 years. then you go to "shore duty", which may or may not be a flying assignment. From then on it varies a bit based on your community, the optempo of the war, and your own plans. Ideally, you rotate 3 years of operational flying (flying in the fleet) and then 2-3 years shore duty which is usually not flying. That would include grad school, staff work, ship's company, exchanges, war college, things like that. Hopefully some of the current active guys can give you their experiences.

Feel free to build off of that too. Thanks!

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I like to play piano at the local honky tonk while my wife talks dirty to me and my pilot flirts with the hot civilian tactical instructors.

After that, Volleyball and lot's of it. Shirtless if possible. Hangin around in towels after "hops" is a favorite as well.

We often go en mass to trashy bars in our dress whites and brawl with the townies too.

Glad I could help.

R/

Steve

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I like to play piano at the local honky tonk while my wife talks dirty to me and my pilot flirt with the hot civilian tactical instructors.

After that, Volleyball and lot's of it. Shirtless if possible. Hangin around in towels after "hops" is a favorite as well.

We often go en mass to trashy bars in our dress whites and brawl with the townies too.

Glad I could help.

R/

Steve

It says you're a high school teacher, so basically same thing, right? :D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Search for "Cat, trap, nap and a slap."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Also do a search for "hemorrhoids" and then you will have a sense of what it's like to fly ADVERSARY in the NAVY ... :)

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
My squadron seems to make it 3 deployments (MEU's) before departing the fleet, making it nearly 5 years before going off to a B billet. I've got two F-18 dudes here who did one deployment, then TAD, and then go to a B billet. It's difficult to say for certain what will happen.