• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ads-b

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I am doing some research about ADS-B. Do any military pilots have this equipment in their aircraft? It deals primarily with position and weather reporting systems that can supplement as a secondary radar.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am doing some research about ADS-B. Do any military pilots have this equipment in their aircraft? It deals primarily with position and weather reporting systems that can supplement as a secondary radar.

Considering that the system is not yet in use, that should tell you the answer. It is an interesting concept though.

Brett

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Considering that the system is not yet in use, that should tell you the answer. It is an interesting concept though.

Brett

Define "in-use". The entire ERAU fleet is equipped with operational ADS-B and we use it everyday. Is it used by ATC yet? No, but it is still a great tool to be used in the aircraft.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Define "in-use". The entire ERAU fleet is equipped with operational ADS-B and we use it everyday. Is it used by ATC yet? No, but it is still a great tool to be used in the aircraft.

I define it per the FAA's site. Beaming data around is one thing, but as a replacement for conventional ATC sensors is at least a decade (probably two) away by their own timeline. Needless to say, ADS-B is not used in military aircraft, but other kinds of datalink technology has been in use for a while.

Brett

aircav06

None

Brett

ADS-B is IN USE now. It started with the Capstone Project in Alaska. There are ground based transmitters operating up and down the Eastern Coast and it will expand to the Gulf of Mexico and Great Lakes/Ohio Valley soon. Also functioning in the Prescott AZ area. The only catch is you need a Mode S transponder with 1090Mhz ADS-B receive and a MFD in the cockpit to receive and display it. You can also get it via UAT receiver (Garmin GDL-90). NAVAIR recently did a test with ADS-B in a T-34.

PM me if you want some ADS-B info for your research.