• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice?

BadSailor

So, I'm an airman stationed on a Precom LHD in San Diego. I go to C school next month for 6 months and we don't take control of our ship until November '08. I want to apply for STA 21, but I want to wait until I have a little sea experience, meaning I won't be able to apply until around April 2009 (the ship is being built in Mississippi so we go around the horn and get back to San Diego then.) I just want to know if anyone has any advice on what I should try to get accomplished by then. I already am hoping to get IA to Iraq after my C school. If there's anything else that will be beneficial I would love to hear it. And also, since I have 3 years to get a degree I was wondering what degree I should go for to be an aviator?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
So, I'm an airman stationed on a Precom LHD in San Diego. I go to C school next month for 6 months and we don't take control of our ship until November '08. I want to apply for STA 21, but I want to wait until I have a little sea experience, meaning I won't be able to apply until around April 2009 (the ship is being built in Mississippi so we go around the horn and get back to San Diego then.) I just want to know if anyone has any advice on what I should try to get accomplished by then. I already am hoping to get IA to Iraq after my C school. If there's anything else that will be beneficial I would love to hear it. And also, since I have 3 years to get a degree I was wondering what degree I should go for to be an aviator?

I think if you really want to apply go for it. Don't wait. I knew a lot of prior nukes in Rhode Island who just entered the Navy and applied at their Nuke school. Granted they got picked up for the Nuke program, but they still had limited service. I think just completing the whole application process as a junior sailor is an accomplishment in itself. However, if you really feel like waiting take some college courses. Try to knock out Engineering Calculus I and II and Engineering Physics I and II. If you decide to go Aviation study for the ASTB. Start reviewing the STA-21 instruction and gather what information you have already (like high school transcripts, write a rough draft personal statement etc..) Just get familiar with the program.

JKD

I agree with jus2mch.
At the very least / in the mean time, let your Chain of Command know your intentions. Have the same mentality as if you were going toward Chief - sustained superior performance. Ask for the hard jobs, contribute toward the mission, look for leadership opportunities…
As a non-rate Airman in a squadron, I rapidly completed my plane captain quals, became the division training PO, during my off shift time I helped out in the shop I wanted to be rated in. You can also push towards your Air Warfare quals. Just some ideas.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
To chime in,

As far as what degree to work towards, just pick something you'll be interested in and you can do well in. There are winged guys with almost every imaginable major... from English to aerospace engineering. I am a computer science guy. My former roommate (E-2 NFO) is a history guy, and I have a few pilot buddies who were nuclear engineering, chemistry and political science guys.

Hope it helps,
Bubba

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Don't wait to apply. Not everyone gets picked up the first time around. The above answers pretty much covered everything. My degree is Criminal Justice Administration. So degrees don't matter much. Also try taking some classes through Navy Campus and take some clep tests. Even the easy ones like "The environment and you". If you pass the test you get college credit. Not all the credits will transfer or be accepted to every college. But it looks good on your application to have those credits. Also depending on your age if you wait to long then you might be to old to go to the USNA. That might not be what you want to do, but you don't want to start limiting you options because you decided to wait. Good Luck.

Smoke

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
What everyone has previously said is dead on. It took me three times to get picked up. I am in my second year at Ole Miss and loving it. I have only been in for 6 years. You have nothing to lose by trying. I understand why you want to the ship experience, but the college courses are the best thing that you can do. Do your best, and don't get discouraged!!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
^^^Bump...

Apply early and often. It took me three tries as well. Don't wait.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think if you really want to apply go for it. Don't wait. I knew a lot of prior nukes in Rhode Island who just entered the Navy and applied at their Nuke school. Granted they got picked up for the Nuke program, but they still had limited service. I think just completing the whole application process as a junior sailor is an accomplishment in itself. However, if you really feel like waiting take some college courses. Try to knock out Engineering Calculus I and II and Engineering Physics I and II. If you decide to go Aviation study for the ASTB. Start reviewing the STA-21 instruction and gather what information you have already (like high school transcripts, write a rough draft personal statement etc..) Just get familiar with the program.

Affirm. My roommate here at OCS is a prior nuke who had a crappy package, and was told he wouldn't make it as a civvy. He enlisted as a nuke electrician, and went to nuke school and power school. He applied while in training and got picked up for SNA and here he is. He went from training command to training command and never saw a boat. Apply now. Granted I know little about the STA-21 program and it is probably a bit different since this guy had his degree already and is straight OCS, but my point was he applied while still in training as a nuke enlisted. All they can do is tell you yes or no.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
However, if you really feel like waiting take some college courses. Try to knock out Engineering Calculus I and II and Engineering Physics I and II.
Completing Calc I and II and doing well in them is a HUGE thing to have in your back pocket when you apply for STA-21. The board will love that. Having the calc based physics I and II complete would be phenominal.