• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Advice

Randrade1998

Took it for the first time and got a 46 5/5/5. Graduated with a 3.3 GPA, have 15 Flight hours, a strong motivational statement (according to the recruiter), and letters from a 2 Star Adm, President Bush, and a recent graduate from the Topgun flight school. He mentioned I should be fine and not have to take it again. From experience, what are yall's thoughts? Do I have a shot at getting picked up for SNA/NFO? My package was submitted for 1.)Pilot. 2.) NFO, 3.)SWO

villo0692

I was going to say "Bush father I hope", until I remember he passed away a couple years ago. your ASTB is lower than the average who gets picked. Typically an average of 7 across is competitive as far as averages from people picked in this website reflect. Idk how much would the LORs help since Curious George is not going to help you in flight school. I'd say apply, and study for a retake just in case you don't get picked, your PFAR and FOFAR are on the minimum (couple months ago you needed at least a 6 on those to apply). Take it as you will, good luck

unless @exNavyOffRec has some extra advice I might not be covering....any experience with an ex president's LOR?

Randrade1998

I was going to say "Bush father I hope", until I remember he passed away a couple years ago. your ASTB is lower than the average who gets picked. Typically an average of 7 across is competitive as far as averages from people picked in this website reflect. Idk how much would the LORs help since Curious George is not going to help you in flight school. I'd say apply, and study for a retake just in case you don't get picked, your PFAR and FOFAR are on the minimum (couple months ago you needed at least a 6 on those to apply). Take it as you will, good luck

unless @exNavyOffRec has some extra advice I might not be covering....any experience with an ex president's LOR?

Appreciate the feedback

exNavyOffRec

Took it for the first time and got a 46 5/5/5. Graduated with a 3.3 GPA, have 15 Flight hours, a strong motivational statement (according to the recruiter), and letters from a 2 Star Adm, President Bush, and a recent graduate from the Topgun flight school. He mentioned I should be fine and not have to take it again. From experience, what are yall's thoughts? Do I have a shot at getting picked up for SNA/NFO? My package was submitted for 1.)Pilot. 2.) NFO, 3.)SWO
remember for aviation they are looking for who has the best chance to get through the pipeline, since President Bush isn't going to help you in flight school probably not much help there or from the others.

The thing to remember is for LOR's they look for someone that has seen you perform over time (months/years) anything else doesn't mean much.

You have a good application for SWO, SNA/SNFO not so much, it is rare for people to get picked with minimums.

If you want to be a pilot you should not have put down NFO and SWO, or if you just want aviation you shouldn't put down SWO, if you want to fly better to take the Pro N, retest and try again than get a "N" for aviation then a Y for SWO.

Switchstone

See attached for a very basic explanation of how the scoring works, taken right from the source. The box with the red outline is an example from 6+ years ago, but it should demonstrate how the percentile range is a sliding scale, and not set.

I know someone who got all 8s, and couldn't make it past his first check ride. I know someone who got 4/4/5 (or some combination thereof), struggled all throughout Primary - earning a pink sheet or two - and they earned their wings after hard work and dedication.

If you think you can do better after having tested once, and you have enough time to comfortably do so, it certainly wouldn't hurt to at least keep studying in preparation for a 2nd attempt. When the time comes for the 2nd try, if you end up being satisfied with your existing scores, then no harm, no foul. That being said, your most recent scores are taken. So if you do worse your 2nd time, but don't have enough time left to wait 30 days for try #3, R.I.P.

Attachments

• ASTB_how examinees score.png
    ASTB_how examinees score.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 39

exNavyOffRec

See attached for a very basic explanation of how the scoring works, taken right from the source. The box with the red outline is an example from 6+ years ago, but it should demonstrate how the percentile range is a sliding scale, and not set.

I know someone who got all 8s, and couldn't make it past his first check ride. I know someone who got 4/4/5 (or some combination thereof), struggled all throughout Primary - earning a pink sheet or two - and they earned their wings after hard work and dedication.

If you think you can do better after having tested once, and you have enough time to comfortably do so, it certainly wouldn't hurt to at least keep studying in preparation for a 2nd attempt. When the time comes for the 2nd try, if you end up being satisfied with your existing scores, then no harm, no foul. That being said, your most recent scores are taken. So if you do worse your 2nd time, but don't have enough time left to wait 30 days for try #3, R.I.P.

He probably had 5's as those were the min for quite a while, then 6 now back to 5. I know a few that had high ASTB that didn't make it, they all had 1 thing in common, they all had PPL's, CFI and other certs, kind of odd to me.

Funny thing is that graph is one they have had up for like 15 years, it would be interesting to see a breakdown of fleet vs NRD and NRD to NRD, we rarely saw anyone less than 40, most were all 50 to 70 and if aviation it was rare to see 5 or less, most were 7's and 8's.

Randrade1998

Just an update! I was picked up for SNFO and made it down to NASP in February. Looks like I will be classing up in a few weeks. Appreciate all of the insight!