• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

aerial observer program for officers

Lil Mini Me

Alright, this may sound strange, but I have to ask anyway.

Eariler this wek, I wnet to MEPS to in orer to contract as an NFO for the Marines. When I took the vision test, they found that I had a whooping -8.7 refractive error in my left eye, requiring a waiver just to proceed. This pretty much killed my shot of going NFO, but I intend on contracting ground.

A couple of days ago, I read on the USMC site of an Aircraft Maintenance Officer who was able to become an aerial observer....but he started when he enlisted. All the rest of the people they had mentioned were enlisted as well. This bring the question: can an officer apply for this program and expect to fly?

USMCRugger

I'm an AO on board CH-53E. From my experience, anyone who can pass aviation water survival and obtain the blessing from the unit can become an AO. Currently we have a CWO undergoing the CH-53E syllabus. We have Marines in various occupation specialties undergoing training. I read an article once about an admin clerk that was an AO. It's a great time!

Lil Mini Me

Thanks for the answer USMCBill. This wiill be something I will definitely going for when the time arrives. With a lot of prep and a little luck, I can get something related to aviation, then go from there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know it's possible, but I just can't see an MMCO or AMO doing that much flying. It's more than a little bit unseemly.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
TheBubba said:
What exactly does an AO do?

Man the .50 cal.

We had a MMCO lieutenant get his AO wings and our intel lt started but didn't finish. It's cool to fly, yes, but an officer as an AO is engaging in some self stroking.

I say that for a few reasons. One, with his other duties, he'll never fly enough to contribute to the unit, and he's taking an AO line number from the squadron T/O. Usually there are plenty of Marines who want to be AOs, both to fly and to get flight pay, and that officer could very well be taking a slot from them.

Two, it distorts the relationship with the crew. The AO is usually the crewchief's ***** when there's tying up to be done, fueling, etc. If the AO is an officer, esp. a maintenance O, it can screw things up.

Three, it just isn't an officer's job to do a purely physical task like an AO's. Why not have him out fixing engines while he's at it? Wait, he won't take the time to learn how to drop an engine because it's not fun like flying is.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Man the .50 cal.

We had a MMCO lieutenant get his AO wings and our intel lt started but didn't finish. It's cool to fly, yes, but an officer as an AO is engaging in some self stroking.

I say that for a few reasons. One, with his other duties, he'll never fly enough to contribute to the unit, and he's taking an AO line number from the squadron T/O. Usually there are plenty of Marines who want to be AOs, both to fly and to get flight pay, and that officer could very well be taking a slot from them.

Two, it distorts the relationship with the crew. The AO is usually the crewchief's ***** when there's tying up to be done, fueling, etc. If the AO is an officer, esp. a maintenance O, it can screw things up.

Three, it just isn't an officer's job to do a purely physical task like an AO's. Why not have him out fixing engines while he's at it? Wait, he won't take the time to learn how to drop an engine because it's not fun like flying is.
Precisely my point - unseemly. :D

Brett

Lil Mini Me

phrogdriver said:
Man the .50 cal.

Those are valid points that you have made. Another would be considered if they came from a non-aviation community. Can't see an infantry commander letting a 2nd LT leave fly missions.

However, I won't get into a "I'm not like that" post, because at least 1 and 2 is accurate (3 is different, only because I grew up working on the engines of autos and motorcycles and would not mind the opp to bust a aircraft engine.). Also, I have not quite given up on the NFO route, but understand that it could be in vain. However, if the opportunity comes, I will take it. If not, then there are other avenues to flight, and other MOSs that are just as good as pilot/NFO.