• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aerial Recce

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When we used to fly out of NAS Miramar, we'd often see subs on the surface returning to Pt. Loma from the air.

I saw a sub and a carrier on the same day and the sub seemed to have a much bigger wake.

Funny how obvious it was from the air. The carrier's wake was there, but not nearly as noticeable.

All photos released by US Navy.

web_080417-N-3165S-132.jpg

web_080417-N-3165S-098.jpg

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
It's gotta have something to do with how subs aren't really designed to run on the surface. I know, I know...pointing out the obvious...

Trainwreck

Got a little captain in ya?
the front of a carrier is much pointier close to the surface than the front of a sub on the surface...the coolest thing is standing on the deck of a submarine pulling in somewhere at 10+ kt and watching the water get sucked under the sides...that and beer on the pier.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I bet PhrogsShoeWife knows the answer...something about displacement and the shape of the hull

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
During CORTRAMID, I realized that the coolest part of being a submariner was being in the conning tower ON THE SURFACE. Then I realized that since we don't use diesel boats anymore, maybe submarines aren't my gig.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course they work better underwater...but the wake they make on the surface is HUGE. If you see it once and you'll know what I mean.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...the coolest thing is standing on the deck of a submarine pulling in somewhere at 10+ kt and watching the water get sucked under the sides...that and beer on the pier.
Um, it may look cool to you, but I was a diver during the manuevering watch. Everying time I saw a pax transfer or the harbor pilot jump across as we were making way, I always thought to myself "I am sure as hell not jumping in after them until the boat comes to a COMPLETE stop". Then again, it was always hilarious to see the JOOD try and back down next to Oscar for man overboard. I stopped laughing when I had to go swim those extra couple hundred yards to oscar dragging the tending line... eh... it was only a one way trip.

RE: wake: Try seeing the wake at night, all the phosphoresce (sp?)... Pretty cool stuff, and one of my most memorable moments on the sub was standing lookout with the OOD at night while we were cruising on the surface... good times.... second most memorable was hot racking with an A ganger, but I will save that for another post :eek:

Trainwreck

Got a little captain in ya?
Everyday, I'm more and more surprised at the sheer number of ex-submariners (only in the sense that we don't actively serve on board those beautiful vessels anymore) that are now in the aviation community...and here I thought I was gonna be the only one.:D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There are a quite a few of us that have seen the light, so to speak. A bunch end up in the P3 community for some reason, I wonder why?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
There are a quite a few of us that have seen the light, so to speak. A bunch end up in the P3 community for some reason, I wonder why?
It would explain the carryover of the "you're a neutron in the Rx, light AMR2 - go" mentality of the tube slug community.:D

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Um, it may look cool to you, but I was a diver during the manuevering watch. Everying time I saw a pax transfer or the harbor pilot jump across as we were making way, I always thought to myself "I am sure as hell not jumping in after them until the boat comes to a COMPLETE stop". Then again, it was always hilarious to see the JOOD try and back down next to Oscar for man overboard. I stopped laughing when I had to go swim those extra couple hundred yards to oscar dragging the tending line... eh... it was only a one way trip.

RE: wake: Try seeing the wake at night, all the phosphoresce (sp?)... Pretty cool stuff, and one of my most memorable moments on the sub was standing lookout with the OOD at night while we were cruising on the surface... good times.... second most memorable was hot racking with an A ganger, but I will save that for another post :eek:

I saw that one night behind the CVN on approach on a very dark moonless night on WestPac...you literally could follow the glowing line all the way to the boat...of course the plane guard left a trail, too..just abit smaller.

Cool stuff.