• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aero Club

Dhc2tacksby

Good day all:

I'm only testing the waters here, but I'm interested in starting an aero club. If there are any of you out there that have any tidbits you'd like to share, I'd love to hear them.

Or if you could send me in the direction of someone you know.

Many thanks,

C.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
What do you mean by aero club? Some sort of fractional ownership? Or the club owns the planes and any member can rent them? MWR runs the military flight clubs.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Good day all:

I'm only testing the waters here, but I'm interested in starting an aero club. If there are any of you out there that have any tidbits you'd like to share, I'd love to hear them.

Or if you could send me in the direction of someone you know.

Many thanks,

C.

They still have the two Cessnas just sitting there broke in Iwakuni?

Dhc2tacksby

HH-60:
I was thinking of a club, with memebership, ac rental, etc...

Zippy:
Yes the two Cessna's are sitting there, havn't moved the entire year I've been here. I'm hoping to change that, however may be an up hill battle.

Thanks.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
They had been sitting for years when I got there in 99... all because no one wanted to pay for maintainence. There was discussion of sending them back to the states for a little while. If I remember correctly one has a f'd up vaccum system. There used to be a flying club there, back in the 80's I think. I have no idea who owns the planes... MCCS could finance the thing and run it, like they do at Quantico (The airplanes there are privately owned though). Have you thought about using the town hall meeting as a way to put the question in writing to the base CO, or talked to anyone in MCCS about this?

Dhc2tacksby

I came up with the idea last week and I'm still trying to determine if it's going to be worth it. We are a relitively small base, and only one perm sqd and useally 1 or 2 UDP's.

I never thought to go to MCCS, but I'm going to talk to them as soon as I determine if I'm going to continue the quest.

I've also sent a few emails to other clubs, specifilly Kadena.

My largest concern is coming up with a business plan. Inssurance and maint. are at the top of the list. I don't know if there are any FAA AME's on base.

I still havn't packed my bags for this journey up the hill. It's gonig to be a while before I start to se results.

I really do appriciate any guidance you do have.

Cheers

Chris.

HUDcripple

pilot
There is a group that is trying to restart the aero club in Naples, it is going slow...
The Aero Clubs are now governed by a BUPERS (not sure why bupers) instruction that explains in pretty good detail how the club must operate. Do a google on "Navy Flying Clubs" to find the bupers website, and download the instruction. I'm not sure if it applies to Marine Corps bases as well. Some basics:

It would be an MWR Class "C" faclity, which means it must be financially self sufficient. Don't expect a big infusion of cash from anyone to get you started. Legally, it can borrow money from another class "C" operation (like the golf course) if the other operation has the cash, you have a business plan, and the loan won't hurt the golf course.
The base CO has to supervise the flying club, assign an active duty guy to be the Safety Officer, a couple other active duty guys to supervise the ops, etc. His support is essential.
The MWR director has to run the club, so get him on board with the idea.
The club must have a paid MWR employee as manager (not sure of title). This can be a part-time employee.
I think Whidbey, Pax, and North Island all have active clubs with websites. Some of them have their bylaws on the web. Check them out, but be aware these clubs all pre-date the BUPERS instruction.