• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aeronavale Crusaders

Tom Docherty

I am hoping to get responses from Crusader pilots who flew exchange tours with the French Aeronavale or trained French pilots on the type about:

The flying characteristics of the F-8.
Was it an easy aircraft to fly?
What were the dangers of flying the type - could you get into trouble easily on the edge of its flight envelope?
Was the cockpit ergonomically easy to work in or was it a bit like being a one-armed paper hanger?
What was its strongest virtue?
What was its greatest vice?

I would also appreciate stories of combat operations, exercises, close calls in training and/or poor weather. Also any photos, particularly air-to-air shots you may have. Tales of high pressure operations as well as anything liked or disliked about the F-8.

I look forward to hearing from you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not ignoring you. I am just not aware of any Crusader dudes on this forum. Sorry no one can help you out.

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Try here ;)
http://users.cloudnet.com/djohnson/index.html
blazngun.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No problem wink, just hoping the bump might find someone.
Tom, I'm not a 'Sader driver, but made two deployments with an F-8 squadron in my Airwing (CVW-9 w/ VF-91 on RANGER jn 1960; and CVW-5 w/ VF-51 on TICONDEROGA in 1961). I am in e-mail touch with a long-time Buddy & flight training classmate Nick, a retired NorthWest A/L B-747 Captain, who flew Crusaders and has compiled many tales about the F-8 and occasionally shares them in e-mails. He may also be able to put you in touch with other ex-"Last Of The Gunfighters" Pilots from the 'good ol' days' at Miramar.
F-8 At Six.jpg
E-mail Nick at cavutothemoon@comcast.net and let him know what you are looking for. Tell Nick that "Mr. Swine" sends his regards!.
BzB

Tom Docherty

Hi BusyBee604, thanks for the contact details for Nick. I have emailed him and passed on your message. Hopefully he will help with Crusader contacts.

Yours aye

Tom

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi BusyBee604, thanks for the contact details for Nick. I have emailed him and passed on your message. Hopefully he will help with Crusader contacts.
Tom, I just received an e-mail with a link toa video/audio of an F-8 Crusader ejection & rescue on a strike mission over No. Vietnam back in the mid-'60s. If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll forward the e-mail/link to you ASAP.:)

Did Nick ever respond to your message?

*Couple of photos of Nick "back in the day" below.;)
BzB:cool:

Attachments

• Navcad Nick - 1956.jpg
    Navcad Nick - 1956.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Nick & A4 1965.jpg
    Nick & A4 1965.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 13

Tom Docherty

Tom, I just received an e-mail with a link toa video/audio of an F-8 Crusader ejection & rescue on a strike mission over No. Vietnam back in the mid-'60s. If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll forward the e-mail/link to you ASAP.:)

Did Nick ever respond to your message?

*Couple of photos of Nick "back in the day" below.;)
BzB:cool:
Hi BzB,
Will do. Nick did reply but only to send me an email address for another chap. I will Pm my email address.

Yours aye

Tom