• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF vs Navy ROTC, BDCP, etc

Prefontaine

Hey everyone! First post on the boards :) I have lots of questions and I'm hoping you can help me!

I'm about to enter college, and have a critical decision to make. I've known for many years that I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up, and have pursued my aviation interests vehemently throughout high school. I recently decided to make the commitment to the armed services after years of contemplating about civilian vs military flying. Overall, the experiences, benefits, and sheer thrill of flying jets for a country I'm honored to call myself a citizen of are undeniable.

Anyways, I'm rambling. I know a significant number of you all have experience in flying for the military, and if not, know a lot about the process. I plan on doing the ROTC route because I want to have "the college experience" while being able to graduate as an officer. My concern doesn't lie in the difference between AF and NROTC while I'm in the program, but rather afterwards. I'm leaning towards the Navy, especially because the thought of flying off a carrier is awesome. Which would you choose if you were in my position? From what I understand, the AF is a bit more "relaxed", and the flying opportunities would be greater in the AF. I dont really have a problem with being on a boat for a long duration, but I've also heard that getting flight hours in the navy (for fighters at least) is difficult, and you're lucky when the scheduling gods smile down on you and allow you to catapult off the deck!

So, basically, in summation, here's what I'm looking for as far as a comparision between the two goes:

1) Flying opportunities -- which service will allow me a greater chance of being a fighter pilot?
2) Flying time -- pilots of which service typically log more hours?
3) Brass "consideration" (for lack of a better term) -- which service typically receives more resources for flying, has better aircraft/serviceability, and support crews?
4) Quality of life -- self explainatory.
5) Anything I'm forgetting which you all deem significant information in regards to my making an informed decision.

If any of the above information is incorrect, feel free to correct me as well!

Ok, now onto the second part of my question(s).

I've recently discovered the option of BDCP as a way of getting a guaranteed pilot slot (I've seen SNA used -- what does this stand for?). Also, they pay you while you're in school. It seems like it offers a lot of advantages for those who are already in college, but should I go the NROTC route instead of this since I'm not even a freshman yet? Are the opportunities for getting a pilot slot in the navy great enough through ROTC that, as long as I work hard enough, I shouldn't have to worry? I took the ASVAB sophomore year and got a 91, 1300 SAT, 3.6 GPA, cross country and track, volunteer hours with the united way, and I've had a part time job since I was 14. If I keep this up, is it likely that I'll be able to get that slot through ROTC?

Thanks a ton! I appreciate the time you took to read this, and thank you in advance for any advice you can offer me. As you can tell, it's an exciting, stressful, and ultimately life-changing time for me at the moment. Luckily, I have a few months to make my decision, but your input certainly helps!

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but I'm off to bed (I have a track meet tomorrow, hoping to break 5 mins in the mile this season, wish me luck!). Once again, thanks!

Regards,

Nate
AKA Prefontaine

Buckle up and hang on Pre, once some of the vets on here get some extra time on their hands, they'll take you for a ride. Pending that, when you have some extra time, go to the 'Forums' part of this site, go down to 'Paths to a Commission,' and read all about NROTC (BDCP is on there too, but I'm not sure if that is really applicable to you at this point). That'll give you some knowledge to start with-there's plenty of other places on there to learn all you want as well. Best wishes towards the sub-5 mile. (SNA, I believe, stands for Student Naval Aviator).

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Pre...

All I can comment on is BDCP vs. ROTC.

Yes, with BDCP you will know if you're going to be a SNA (Student Naval Aviator) or not before you sign anything. With ROTC, you do what's called service selection. Basically, sometime during fall semester of senior year, you'll tell the Navy what you want to do. After ranking you with all of the other NROTC Mids and weighing that against everyone else's preferences and what's open, the Navy will tell you what you're going to do. So you're not garaunteed aviation. Now that may seem scary and not worth it in the end, but it isn't. A majority of people that want an aviation slot get one.

Yes, BDCP does pay you as an E-5 while you are in college, but you can't apply until the end of your sophomore year. After you graduate, you then go to OCS and c0mmission as an Ensign upon graduation. With ROTC, you will commission at graduation (maybe the day before or day after) and not go to OCS. ROTC will give you a monthly stipend, but its no where near as much as an E-5 will make.

There are advantages to both. Contact your nearest officer recruiter about the programs. They'll be able to give you alot of info.

You look good for a NROTC scholarship (if you should apply for one). Seeing as how you're a senior (I'm guessing since you're about to start college) so its a little late to apply for a 4-year scholarship. But that doesn't mean you can't join NROTC if you want to.

In order to compete for an aviation slot (and get into BDCP), you'll have to take the ASTB test. I can't really give you any info on that cuz they've changed the exam considerably since I took it, but if you search around the site enough, you'll get some good info on it.

Welcome to the boards, hope that helps, happy posting and good luck.

Cheers,
Bubba

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
TheBubba said:
Pre...

Yes, BDCP does pay you as an E-5 while you are in college, but you can't apply until the end of your sophomore year.

BDCP pays E-3 with advancement to E-4 if you get dean's list in consecutive semesters or refer someone. I think you can make it up to E-5 combining both, but you'll be bumped to E-5 when you graduate and thru OCS.

Also, BDCP is good for college students who decide to join the Navy. ROTC is a good program if you're in high school. You may be dead set on aviation, but your goals and attitude can change in 4 years. Besides, you'll be exposed to different parts of the fleet by the middie cruises. Think about it this way: in BDCP, you're commiting to the Navy with zero exposure to it (you can drop out of ROTC after one year with no strings).

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Thisguy said:
BDCP pays E-3 with advancement to E-4 if you get dean's list in consecutive semesters or refer someone. I think you can make it up to E-5 combining both, but you'll be bumped to E-5 when you graduate and thru OCS.

Ah... thanks... I should know that... I think I confused the pay rates with one of the medical commissioning programs... seeing as how thats all I've been pitching the past day or two...

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
TheBubba said:
Ah... thanks... I should know that... I think I confused the pay rates with one of the medical commissioning programs... seeing as how thats all I've been pitching the past day or two...

No worries, you're still getting paid to get your degree...something that was gonna happen anyway...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Prefontaine said:
1) Flying opportunities -- which service will allow me a greater chance of being a fighter pilot?

This is the easiest way to know if you have any chance with any service.

gay6fl.jpg

Dalamara

Holy crap, I've read through about every Navy site and up until now I was under the impression that you had to go through OCS after graduation... wow.

Infact I think one of the Lieutenants at the NROTC unit told me that... hmmm... Just to clarify, you don't need to go to OCS if you graduate with a NROTC scholarship right? I don't see anywhere on the NROTC site where it mentions OCS.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
No OCS if you do ROTC. Three things qualify you to pin on Ensign/Second Lieutenant: OCS, ROTC or an Academy. Well, there is direct commission, but if you're not a doctor or lawyer, don't worry about it.

Prefontaine

Thanks for all the great information! Keep it coming :)

Unfortunately, I am a bit late for a 4-year scholarship, but I do plan on applying for the 3 year one. I'm liking the idea that with NROTC I'll have exposure to the Navy before signing up, but was wondering -- do you get to do a summer cruise before you make your commitment (aka between freshman and sophomore year of college?) Also, is there competition for summer cruise placements, ie if I wanted to be stationed on an AC carrier, how hard would this be to achieve?

Thanks again,

Pre

PS -- I pass the finger test :)

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
oh hell yes, i don't have to ask what % questions anymore, i'm gonna be a fighter pilot! also, only scholarship students receive summer cruises with the NROTC. Sometimes as a college programer you can pick up a scholarship 2nd semester and still go on your summer cruise, but thats not normally the case. hope it helps

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:
This is the easiest way to know if you have any chance with any service.

gay6fl.jpg

Wow, I actually took the time to see how I shaped up... and my ring fingers are massively out of proportion... wow... never took time to notice that before, thought everyone was like that...

BlaZe

Banned
Well, I guess I will be a fighter pilot since my ring finger is longer.

The heck with school.

j/k