• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AFROTC Guy with a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLER

Howdy all,

I'm a Senior in AFROTC right now and will be going to pilot training upon commissioning. For you upper-class NROTC guys/gals, did you have to go to some kind of Officer Training Camp like us AFROTC folks? I've wondered how/if you distinguish between Cadet Airmen and Cadet Officers like we do over hear.

Peace,
THRILLER

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
THRILLER said:
Howdy all,

I'm a Senior in AFROTC right now and will be going to pilot training upon commissioning. For you upper-class NROTC guys/gals, did you have to go to some kind of Officer Training Camp like us AFROTC folks? I've wondered how/if you distinguish between Cadet Airmen and Cadet Officers like we do over hear.

Peace,
THRILLER
Only difference between a C/ARMN & C/OFCR is 4 weeks of field training (after 2nd year) at Tyndall or Lackland, right? Man, I still have my jump wings from the academy, too bad I cannot find the letter that goes along with it or I would wear them on my Navy Uniform.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
THRILLER said:
Howdy all,

Peace,
THRILLER

No summer camp for us. We go on cruises with real units instead. The staff picks the officer billets for the battalion, we aren't automatically "officers" like the air force side.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Here is how it goes in NROTC:
If you are under scholarship, you have three cruises. After your freshman year, you go on a thing called cortramid where you spend 4 weeks in each warfare (surface, aviation, subs, and marine week). After your sophomore year, you go on your 2nd class cruise where you shadow an enlisted guy. After your junior year, you go on your 1st class cruise where you shadow on junior officer.
If you are not under scholarship, you just do the 1st class cruise.
These cruises can be aviation, subs, surface, etc.

THRILLER

NozeMan said:
No summer camp for us. We go on cruises with real units instead. The staff picks the officer billets for the battalion, we aren't automatically "officers" like the air force side.

Working with real units is a great idea that I wish the AFROTC would adopt. As anyone knows who has gone through NAVY or AF ROTC, it is rather superficial and is not even close to AD. I like the idea that the NROTC HQ is using.

However, I also would not give up the officer filed training that AFROTC goes through. It serves as one more way to weed out those who can't handle the stress/leadership/teamwork involved in being an Officer. As for me, I went to Lackland for 6weeks this past summer for AFROTC Field Training. The other two camps were Ellsworth and Tyndall. It was basically 6 weeks of hell, however I did learn a lot about leading and following. Perhaps the best experience out of the whole thing was JETO (Jet Orientation), where I was able to fly a T-38.

All in all, I like the idea of the NAVY with having MIDSHIPMEN work with active duty. Perhaps both branches could take a little from each other.

PEACE

THRILLER

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
Thriller,
I think the appropriate word is "Sandbag." You didn't fly the T-38 literally neither were you in the front seat. No, I don't mean to be condescending at all. I had 2 Sandbags while I was in ROTC, one in the F-16CJ at Shaw (2000) and the other at Moody AFB, T-38 Talon. Both were in the backseat and yes, they did hand me the control for a while but by NO MEANS I flew the aircraft.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Venom-0 said:
Thriller,
I think the appropriate word is "Sandbag." You didn't fly the T-38 literally neither were you in the front seat. No, I don't mean to be condescending at all. I had 2 Sandbags while I was in ROTC, one in the F-16CJ at Shaw (2000) and the other at Moody AFB, T-38 Talon. Both were in the backseat and yes, they did hand me the control for a while but by NO MEANS I flew the aircraft.

I sandbagged a SH-60 and T-34 during cortramid. haha...that sounds funny. Gawd i'm gonna miss college humor. :D

THRILLER

Venom-0 said:
Thriller,
I think the appropriate word is "Sandbag." You didn't fly the T-38 literally neither were you in the front seat.

True about the "sandbag" thing Venom-O

I had a great time in Laughlin during JETO. The instructor was awesome and we enjoyed wasting the taxpayers money for 1.7hrs :icon_smil

I've got a question for you, my instructor allowed me to log .7hrs in the T-38 into my commercial pilot log book. He said it was perfectly legal since I was under instruction and have my ratings. He signed me off and now I have .7 in the 38. Does this sound right?

Here is what we did...during critical phases of flight I was not allowed to touch the controls. However, once we got to the practice area that is when the bet began. I had the controls for a total of .7hrs and was able to perform, climbs, decents, level flight, sustained G turns (level flight) , and combat spacing formation with lead. I had a blast sandbagging the jet. Before JETO I wanted bombers (B-1)<---Don't laugh, now I'm heavily considering going fighters. The 38 is a "bare bones" aircraft with some balls.

I was in "Nachos" flight that day and the class bet me a 12pack that he could get me to puke. They only gave me one puke-bag and I had to bring it back squeaky clean. Needless to say I was a little apprehensive to see the grins on their faces as we stepped out of the briefing room to head to life support.

It was freak'en hot that day and coupled with the 38s top-of-the-line AC system ;) , and sleep depravation from training, I was a little worried that I bit off more than I could chew with these guys.

Long story short...the bags came back clean and now I've got 10 twelve-pack IOUs. :D

Capt. Ryan...You out there?

PEACE,
THRILLER

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
8 posts and this hasn't devolved into an interservice p!ssing match. I'm impressed.

Crowbar

None
Well, zab, I'm not trying to speed up the de-evolution of the thread, but I do have a question for our Air Force guy here.

Seriously, what kind of training do you do during your '6 weeks of hell'? I already have a pretty good idea that you do some PT and classes, but what else? I've always heard our AFROTC students refer to it as 'summer camp' or 'leadership seminar' or something similar, nobody ever said it was hell. So I'm just wondering what they missed out on.

THRILLER

Zab,

I appreciate the comment. I have the utmost respect for you NAVY guys and my fellow ROTC "officers to be". Ya, it's easy to get into a p!ssing match with the two branches, however, that serves me no good. I'm very interested in the NAVY way of training and how it compares to the Air Force. With me being a cadet who will be commissioning next May (10May06 @1000 to be exact...but who's counting), I realize that I have a lot to learn about AD. One thing I do realize, is that with the US Military reshaping and more joint missions taking place, us AFROTC and NROTC guys/gals are going to need to see the "goods and bads" in both services so that we can learn from each others mistakes and successes and apply them to our own individual way of doing things. One thing is for sure though, with the ever changing world, my fellow NAVY and AFROTC brothers will soon be serving together...kicking a** in the sky.

Crowbar,

I'd be glad to try to oblige you Sir...

My 6 week Field Training camp at Lackland was “the most fun that you’ll never want to have”. That is the best way of putting it. The AF uses AFROTC Field Training as a way to weed cadets out of ROTC. My days began at 0400 to 2130 6 days a week. It consisted of weekly rotation of leadership positions; ranging from FLT/CC to Group/CC. At my FTU there were 510 cadets and it was quite a task to be given the responsibility of managing well over 200 cadets. It is an experience that is very hard to convey to those who have not gone. Lucy me, I went to Lackland where MTIs are everywhere and where PJ’s give you some lessons on how PT is done. My squadron had about 4 washing machines and there were over 60 of us. Needless to say, we stank like sh!t. I remember washing my PT cloths in the shower and waking up to a damp set of PTUs. Everyone there got sick at least once and we had 6 shower heads for all 60+ of us. Average time to shower was about 4min per cadet and we processed through there like cattle.
PT took place exactly 30min after breakfast. The march to chow was, at times, 24min long (depending on which chow hall you were assigned to that day). It seemed like we were always covered in sweat for all 43 days of training. It sucked. Once you got out of the shower, you put on your UOD and began sweating. Sometimes we went to bed without showering. We had 4 Physical Fitness Tests while we were there.
We also had a Field Training Exercise (FTX) where we spent 4 days in the “field”. This was located at Camp Bullis. We were trained by AF Security Forces on how to set up defensive/offensive positions, how to establish forward air base security, and how to deal with protestors. Perhaps the best part of the training there was all the MREs whe got…3 a day and they were great!
What made it the worst was the fact that they were trying to push your buttons, make you break, and see if you will SIE (Self Initiated Elimination). One guy in my Squadron SIE’d 36 hours into the program. I thought, before I went there that…”hey, it’s a program ran by AF officers…doughnut eaters and pencil pushers…right?”. Well I saw some of the biggest Officers and MTI’s that I’ve ever seen before. These guys looked like Marines in Blue…(looking back on it…I wonder if they really were) :confused:
Anyway Sir, the whole 6 weeks were like a blur to me and it was something that I have purposely forgotten about. Let me just say that even though it was a stressful and tedious process, I learned so much about myself, my peers, and what it takes to be a good officer. I saw great Officers and not-so-great Officers there. I realize this is just the tip of the iceburg and that I still have a lot to learn about officership and I can’t wait to serve with you gentlemen (and ladies).

Go Air Force! <---sorry, just had to add that :icon_smil

PEACE,
THRILLER

Status
Not open for further replies.