• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After a long hiatus, it’s Bear season again.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Free Beacon - LOL. Plus McInerney's alarmist "we're returning to the Cold War" commentary is humorous , given that these flights have become a fairly routine events.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
You know, there are Navy billets in Alaska, you too can get in on this action!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, there are Navy billets in Alaska, you too can get in on this action!
Haven't you been up there for like five or six years, or am I imagining that? Do I need to come up there to inspect your lawn? ;)

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Haven't you been up there for like five or six years, or am I imagining that? Do I need to come up there to inspect your lawn? ;)

You stay the HELL away from my lawn!

And it's only been 2 and change. Though it'll be much longer as i dropped my letter.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's right. Isn't that your home turf? Do you live in Anchorage proper now? Planning on staying there?

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
That's right. Isn't that your home turf? Do you live in Anchorage proper now? Planning on staying there?
Yup, in Anchorage itself. Though I spend as much time away as possible, lots to do here. It is near my home turf (I'm from another part of Alaska). I am planning on staying here, seeing if i can't become a professional ski bum again or maybe a barista - i'm f'ing hot in a tight shirt and short shorts, standard wear for baristas.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Yup, in Anchorage itself. Though I spend as much time away as possible, lots to do here. It is near my home turf (I'm from another part of Alaska). I am planning on staying here, seeing if i can't become a professional ski bum again or maybe a barista - i'm f'ing hot in a tight shirt and short shorts, standard wear for baristas.
What the hell coffee shop do you go to? :confused::eek:

Planeform

pilot
My old man had the record for the northern-most TU-95 intercept back in the 80's (I'm sure there have been more northerly intercepts since)...and my grandma has a ridiculously large print of the event taken by wing still plastered up on her living room wall (also, not bad decor for an old lady). Glad the ruskies are still keeping us entertained.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My old man had the record for the northern-most TU-95 intercept back in the 80's (I'm sure there have been more northerly intercepts since)...and my grandma has a ridiculously large print of the event taken by wing still plastered up on her living room wall (also, not bad decor for an old lady). Glad the ruskies are still keeping us entertained.
Neato! Congrats on following in Dad's footsteps!:) What type A/C (F-14?) & Squadron?
BzB

Planeform

pilot
He was actually an Eagle driver...he was flying A and C models then I think.

If you scroll down on the link to 1980's portion of the timeline, you can see the honorable mention...my dad is the then Maj. mentioned.

http://www.alaskawingcaf.org/Alaska Heritage/September10-16.pdf

FWIW, 340nm North of Pt. Barrow AK is pretty much the top of the earth!

BzB, thanks for the congrats...although I have induced a air power rivalry in the family. I can get my dad pretty riled up as soon as I say 'flare to lan, squat to pee'. Haha! It's all in good fun though...at this point in intermediate training (VT-7), I can't imagine holding tight cruise position on a foreign bomber.

Pretty sure this is the picture my granny has in the living room, I think it was pretty widely circulated at the time:

F-15_%26_Tu-95.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if the Tailgunners are still holding up cans of Coke and Playboy centerfolds for the NORAD crews viewing pleasure.

Way back in the day:

Naturally, with blowers aglow, the Fighter "Pukes" got there first.:rolleyes:
VF-151  F-4 - 1.jpg Bear with Tomcat.jpg

But occasionally, an Attack "Weenie" snuck in whilst the fighters were hungrily suckin' gas.:)
A4 Bear Intercept VA-45.jpg A-7 Bear Intercept.jpg

Now the Strike Fighter "Hornies" get to do both!:D
FA-18 Refueling.jpg
*That Pfantum may be our own Catmando!
BzB

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Way back in the day:.......Naturally, with blowers aglow, the Fighter "Pukes" got there first.:rolleyes:.......But occasionally, an Attack "Weenie" snuck in whilst the fighters were hungrily suckin' gas.:).......Now the Strike Fighter "Hornies" get to do both!:D
BzB

The resident USAF pilot in my Prowler squadron intercepted a pair of Bears in a T-33 one time, unarmed of course, could barely keep up to them much less intercept them but he did.