• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age discrimination?

feenix

I really did do a search before posting this, so if it is a repeat I am sorry.
But even if it is a repeated Forum Question, maybe the information has changed...

As I know there are certain antro restrictions on different aircraft, are there certain age restrictions?

For example, are you limited from the get go as to what you would be able to fly come selection time?

Personal stats:
Age 26
5'7"
20/10 (both eyes)

Thank you for your input...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
None of the platforms are age restricted, just anthro. If you are a SNFO/SNA, you have the chance of flying anything you're not anthro'ed out of and have the grades for.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not sure of your use of "discrimination." Your height isn't a big factor, it's more of your anthropomorphic measurements, meaning how easy it is for you to reach certain controls in your cockpit. Your eyesight seems competitive.

Your age is a factor. The Navy wants you to commission before age 27 to begin flight training. Meaning, if you are 26 now, then you need to have butter bars on your collar before you turn 27 in order to be a Naval Aviator.

If someone has more updated info, please correct.

feenix

I would go Marine, and they said you needed to be commissioned by 27.5. I have my packet in for me to go to OCS this January, and if that goes through I would have my bars while I am still 26...but then TBS before API.

Thank you all for responding, this forum really is a great resource...

crusin2navy

hi

so what if you have your butter bars before 27 ? I am 26 and have them. do I have to be in flight training before 27 or just whenever I can lateral transfer in? thank you for your help.

crusin2navy

If you are commissioned prior to 27 but are in another community how soon do you have to begin flight training? also, what about being in the reserves for prior sservice waiver consideration

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The max commissioning age for Naval Aviators is 27; however, I think this means you must be commissioned prior to your 27th birthday (i.e. 26 years and 364 or 365{leap year} days is the actual max age). Prior-enlisted candidates can waive up to 2 years, making the max commissioning age 29.

I think NFOs' age limits are just +2 years on top of the NA limits, but I'm not sure.

crusin2navy

yes but what does this mean as far as the aviation training starts. I understand that you must be commissioned prior to the age limit but when must you start training. or does it not specify? meaning I am already an Officer in the US Navy, but I am in a different community- Supply corps. when is too late to Lateral Into the Aviation community? Pilot and NFO

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yes but what does this mean as far as the aviation training starts. I understand that you must be commissioned prior to the age limit but when must you start training. or does it not specify? meaning I am already an Officer in the US Navy, but I am in a different community- Supply corps. when is too late to Lateral Into the Aviation community? Pilot and NFO

You might want to check the sources in the attached message to see if it can answer your questions...

http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/2D1ED2AD-8A40-4789-BEBC-7ADF23A2B5D1/0/NAV07206.txt

Also, the MILPERSMAN pages here too.. http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/Administrative/ActiveDutyTransferRedesignation/

crusin2navy

Yeah, that's good info. I guess I'm just a different kind of applicant being that I came from the Direct Commission route. hard to find the magic words im looking for to get that "warm and fuzzy feeling"