• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age limits in aviation

biskit

I've scoured the internet and found many different answers on the age limit, the most common being 35. I'm looking for a way through the rules for my specific case.

I'm currently an Army aviator(warrant officer) and am approaching the point where I can get out. When that time comes I will have just turned 35 and am looking for something new. How much of an issue will my age be and what can I do about it? By law a Warrant Officer is a Commissioned Officer, could that help with the whole "initial commissioning by age 35" thing? I'd only do this to be an aviator, wouldn't even consider another job.

One other question - would already being a military helicopter pilot predispose one to be a navy helicopter pilot or would you be just another body in your class to fight for whatever you wanted to fly?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Army WOs that I saw go through flight school were reintroduced into the general population of SNAs. They competed and completed just like everyone else. Often times their scores were very good, but they still had to play the game.

I don't know the answer as far as the age limit goes. How many years of service do you have? Have you considered Coast Guard DCA?

highside7r

None
Biskit,
As a x-Navy, now Army guy in your age group, I would suggest looking into the Coast Guard DCA program, but the age issue might still be there.

biskit

The Army WOs that I saw go through flight school were reintroduced into the general population....... but they still had to play the game.

I don't know the answer as far as the age limit goes. How many years of service do you have? Have you considered Coast Guard DCA?

Having to play the game is a good start - I'd be worried they'd send me straight to the helicopter place without a chance at anything else(not what I want). At the minimum I would have 7.5 years when I can get out at 35 years old. Not interested in the CG, they don't have what I want or do what I enjoy.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like you want to do a Lateral Transfer from Army to Navy/Marine Corps. It's been done before....I actually went through the RAG with a former Army WO and he was getting $840 for FLT PAY.

The Navy and Marine Corps Commissioned Officers must have a Bachelor's Degree, unless you go the flying WO NFO program, but it sound like you want to FLY the jet, vice in the jet. Do you have one?

You'd need to look at the Interservice Transfer instruction, but I'm afraid you might need to fall within the SNA requirements which is 27 with a waiver for 4 years prior, maybe, but it won't get you to 35.

-ea6bflyr ;)

tshort

Dont mean to piggy back ride. But I have a similar question. I'm 26 going to ocs for intel but may want to do pilot at some point. can a waiver work up to four years after 27?

biskit

Sounds like you want to do a Lateral Transfer ..... It's been done before..........a former Army WO and he was getting $840 for FLT PAY.

The Navy and Marine Corps Commissioned Officers must have a Bachelor's Degree, unless you go the flying WO NFO program, but it sound like you want to FLY the jet, vice in the jet. Do you have one?

You'd need to look at the Interservice Transfer instruction, but I'm afraid you might need to fall within the SNA requirements which is 27 with a waiver for 4 years prior, maybe, but it won't get you to 35.

Keeping the years of aviation for flight pay would be nice, but I'd give them up if it meant getting what I want.

Yes fly it, not just in it. I do indeed have some of those college degree things. I meet any requirements and am an easy pick except for the age thing.

I'd do AF or Marines too, but they all have the same age issues. Landing a plane on a boat would be fun, so here I am. I guess this is now a thread about interservice transfers? Seems to be the best chance for me. A quick search on the internet shows this is going to be a difficult task - anybody have pointers on where to start? Specifically where to start looking into getting around the age thing?