• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age waivers and ASTB testing location in Norfolk,

OfficerorBust

Hi all,

I just stumbled on this site and it provides some good information. My questions have probably been asked already but here it goes:

First off I am putting my package together for OCS. My top designators are SWO, Supply, and Nuclear Surface(I am currently an enlisted Nuke). I just read through a fellow First's nightmare with him trying to become a pilot and being denied because of age. I am currently 30 and know I am close to the age cut off for SWO. I was told the age limit for the Nuclear program is very waivable and to keep it as a choice(this info is coming from the various Nuke officers). Does anyone know how true this is or does it depend on other factors?

My second question pertains to the ASTB. I have been trying to find where to go to take this exam in Norfolk. I have asked my CC and she didn't know. I have called numerous recruiters and they just say that they only deal with enlisted recruiting and don't know the answer to my question.

Any help would be appreciated. I will finish my interviews this week and my physical is next. So the only thing I will need to get my package out is the ASTB. So please help if you can.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Best bet is to call NRD Richmond. Ask for the OPO shop. They may have an OPO office closer, but they will test you for sure. Not sure about the age waiver thing. Best to ask them. Of course you get the two years for prior service, but since you are currently active there may be an option open to you that does not apply to a non active priors or civilians. Your CC should be a better source for that then even an officer recruiter. Although if she doesn't know where to take the astb she may be completely worthless. Too bad.

OfficerorBust

Wink,

Thanks for the quick reply. You are right. My CC is useless at least so far with her help. I am really fretting about the age thing. Part is my fault for waiting to long, but then I only received my degree last year. Most people I talk to tell me not to worry about the age because I am active duty. Especially when it comes to the Nuke pipeline(a recently retired Nuke officer said they are really hurting for Nukes and would probably waive his grandmother right now....and being a nuke enlisted I am more favorable than his grandmother).

I am going to ESO in the morning and then from there I will contact Richmond. Also I believe I only need to take the AOR portion correct? This is because I am not applying for any of the aviator designators. But I may consider Intel....this I believe I take the whole exam....?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink,

I am going to ESO in the morning and then from there I will contact Richmond. Also I believe I only need to take the AOR portion correct? This is because I am not applying for any of the aviator designators. But I may consider Intel....this I believe I take the whole exam....?

They are always short nukes. No telling what they will do for you. You don't have to take the astb for nuke, but of course you have to cut a score for the other programs. True, you don't have to take the aviation stuff if you are not applying for aviation. But they want a AQR, PFAR and FOFAR for the intel apps. Just take the whole thing anyway. Since you are a nuke the technical stuff won't be a big deal. Maybe look at the gouge on AW so you are not surprised by the spatial stuff.

OfficerorBust

I appreciate your help. You have provided more info in your two posts than I have found with the "proper" channels at my command. Granted I have only given my CC about four days to gather information. Which should be enough since that is her job.

Yes the spatial practice exams got me the first time I took them. I have them down pat now...just need to work on the time and bank magnitude. The math/verbal and technical sections were easy...but time got me. After some practice the time is not a problem now. I will need to study the gouges because airplanes and aviation are definately not my strong point.:D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I appreciate your help. You have provided more info in your two posts than I have found with the "proper" channels at my command. Granted I have only given my CC about four days to gather information. Which should be enough since that is her job.
Here is a thought. If she doesn't know her job and can't find the answers in fours days time, refer her to AW and then she can find the answers to her customers questions in half a days time just like you did. ;)