• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AH-1W Shot down?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So what's the real story? Why is HQMC being so vague on this - calling it a "crash" as opposed to a combat loss?

Anyone have any insight?

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Two Marine pilots were killed when their Super Cobra helicopter crashed near Ramadi in Anbar province, the U.S. military said Wednesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/11/02/iraq.main/

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
So what's the real story? Why is HQMC being so vague on this - calling it a "crash" as opposed to a combat loss?

Anyone have any insight?

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Two Marine pilots were killed when their Super Cobra helicopter crashed near Ramadi in Anbar province, the U.S. military said Wednesday.

could you point me to the news article that states it was shot down?

or are you just guessing?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051102...CJX6GMA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

The military said the cause of the crash was being investigated. But Associated Press Television News quoted an Iraqi man who said he saw the crash and that insurgents "fired at the helicopter and shot it down."

(I also read something to this effect htis morning on a separate website, can't recall where. Sounds like conflicting reports, too early for definitive cause to be determined)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Anyone have any insight?

Uhh, hello? I know you've been out of the loop for a while, but come on - pretty standard ops until they figure out what really happened.

Brett

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
well, what i'm getting at is why start a thread with "AH-1 shot down", then reference a news article that says nothing about it being shot down, just that it crashed. i've seen the open source news articles pointing to it being shot down. it's just annoying to see people jumping to conclusions like they know what is going on by reading or watching the news, then question, just after an incident like this, why "HQMC being so vague" when nobody really knows what happened, except the guys on the scene. just my opinion

i've also read some closed source articles about the incident ...

S/F
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051102...CJX6GMA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

The military said the cause of the crash was being investigated. But Associated Press Television News quoted an Iraqi man who said he saw the crash and that insurgents "fired at the helicopter and shot it down."

(I also read something to this effect htis morning on a separate website, can't recall where. Sounds like conflicting reports, too early for definitive cause to be determined)

ChuckMK23

pilot
Is what it is...

These days with instant news delivery - it's hard to figure out what's what. In any case it's a loss in combat operations. I should have more correctly added the correct punctuation to thethread title. As in AH-1W Shot Down?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im on pre-deployment leave, havent heard yet but I figure I will know soon. Once I know what is up I will share waht I can (dont expect much). I'm pretty sure I knew them whoever it was and it sucks. Ramadi is a bad neighborhood I think it needs a falujah style remodeling.

ChuckMK23

pilot
...and I posted the topic purely as an FYI. A loss like this is no small matter - and the HMLA community is as tight as they come.

Bottom line - is rotary wing anything is vulnerable. Whether it be RPG or a bullet. Commanders take our machines for granted - but when we avoid the bad guys it's usually because of carefull, precise planning and solid flying. But even the best are vulnerable to a dumb low tech weapon like RPG or 12.7mm rounds piercing the compressor section of your engine. Bad days happen.

God Bless.

phrogpilot73

Im on pre-deployment leave, havent heard yet but I figure I will know soon. Once I know what is up I will share waht I can (dont expect much). I'm pretty sure I knew them whoever it was and it sucks. Ramadi is a bad neighborhood I think it needs a falujah style remodeling.
My battalion S-2 is looking into it for me... I'm hoping I don't know them as well... I've got a good number of buddies in the squadron that's based there (AA) now...