• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AH-64 Apache Pilot and Co-Pilot: How is it determined?

cofranc736

Hello all,

I know that this forums is focused mainly on the Navy and Marine Corps, however, I have seen people being helped with questions for other branches here. My question has to do with flying the AH-64 Apache in the Army. I am in the middle of completing my WOFT packet and will meet in front of the board in November for review. My goal is to end up flying the Apache, however, I was wondering how it's determined whether or not one is either the pilot or co-pilot. Does it rotate? Is one dedicated to being only the pilot or only the co-pilot during their entire contract based on aviation school scores?

Thank you for any replies in advance.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Both guys are pilots. There are flight controls in both cockpits, with the front cockpit being primarily responsible for weapons systems and the aft cockpit primarily responsible for flying. I dont know how they divvy up the day to day flying, but you'll be required to know both jobs.

Just guessing, I would think it's either a senior/junior thing or a rotational thing based on currency.

exNavyOffRec

Both guys are pilots. There are flight controls in both cockpits, with the front cockpit being primarily responsible for weapons systems and the aft cockpit primarily responsible for flying. I dont know how they divvy up the day to day flying, but you'll be required to know both jobs.

Just guessing, I would think it's either a senior/junior thing or a rotational thing based on currency.

Isn't it figured out by rock/paper/scissors? :D

biskit

Both are pilots and both cockpits can fly the aircraft. Systems-wise there are significant differences. The army calls pilots either "pilot"(pi) or "pilot in command"(pc) - both are pilots but the PC is the person the commander designates as being responsible for the mission, crew, and aircraft. He may or may not be senior and may or may not be more experienced than the PI.

The apache requires two pilots. You leave flight school and you are a PI and always will fly with a PC. Your commander makes you a PC when/if he decides you can do the job. Once you are a PC you may still fly as a PI with another PC. In an apache the PC can occupy either seat, but is most often in the rear cockpit.

Coota0

None
In my experience the maker of th flight schedule (usually an LT or Senior Warrant) decides who will be the pilot in command if there are two PICs on the flight schedule together, otherwise if one of the crew is PIC and the other is not then it is simple. As to who flies in which seat. The front seat is the gunner(co-pilot) the back is the pilot. Typically the crews will decide amongst themselves who flies whihc seat, unless it is on the flight schedule (may want a junior guy to get some back seat time or a chance to train as a PIC). Apaches have been known to have multiple levels of PIC too, a PIC may be rated for PIC only during a daytime flight, or not in certain weather conditions. I have also seen where a co-pilot is only rated for the front seat, or front seat day time. Good luck with your packet, but flight school will very likely change your opinion on what you want to fly, probably more than once.