• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Action over the National Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
A random post on another thread reminded me of something I've mulled over in the past.

Over the last ten years I've occasionally gone on expeditions - solo and accompanied - into one of my favorite retreats, the Sierra Nevadas. I've almost exclusively stuck to the King's Canyon and Sequoia National Parks (Yosemite is like Disneyland these days, soon it'll be like San Fransisco). During these blissful forays, I'm inevitably treated to a private airshow or three or five by what's become over the years quite a variety of jets. Upwards of ten times a day I hear the sharp reports of the sonic booms, and several times I've seen them subsonic flyng ridiculously low through canyons such as the Kern or even King's Canyon itself. The best are some brief but dramatic and thrilling dogfights at medium altitudes (maybe 15,000 MSL). What I'm wondering is where they hail from. Originally I thought maybe Nellis, since the first I saw were what I thought were F-22's (back in '96, I think, which was rather exciting at the time). Later I assumed I was mistaken about the previous ID'ing since all I saw were baby Hornets. Last year, I saw what were distinctly Supers, and started assuming it was mostly training sorties from Lemoore. Then towards the end of my last trip I watched an F-16 going obviously much faster than Mach 1 pass maybe 2,000 ft or so above me (I was at about 14,500 MSL) and slightly maneuvering. One of the low level canyon flights was made I think by an F-15 in '96, though I wasn't sure since I was hastily wiping water from my eyes from the river I was swimming in.

Are there any out there that are in Lemoore right now that can throw in a few cents? Anybody else with some random insight?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mayday said:
A random post on another thread reminded me of something I've mulled over in the past.

Over the last ten years I've occasionally gone on expeditions - solo and accompanied - into one of my favorite retreats, the Sierra Nevadas. I've almost exclusively stuck to the King's Canyon and Sequoia National Parks (Yosemite is like Disneyland these days, soon it'll be like San Fransisco). During these blissful forays, I'm inevitably treated to a private airshow or three or five by what's become over the years quite a variety of jets. Upwards of ten times a day I hear the sharp reports of the sonic booms, and several times I've seen them subsonic flyng ridiculously low through canyons such as the Kern or even King's Canyon itself. The best are some brief but dramatic and thrilling dogfights at medium altitudes (maybe 15,000 MSL). What I'm wondering is where they hail from. Originally I thought maybe Nellis, since the first I saw were what I thought were F-22's (back in '96, I think, which was rather exciting at the time). Later I assumed I was mistaken about the previous ID'ing since all I saw were baby Hornets. Last year, I saw what were distinctly Supers, and started assuming it was mostly training sorties from Lemoore. Then towards the end of my last trip I watched an F-16 going obviously much faster than Mach 1 pass maybe 2,000 ft or so above me (I was at about 14,500 MSL) and slightly maneuvering. One of the low level canyon flights was made I think by an F-15 in '96, though I wasn't sure since I was hastily wiping water from my eyes from the river I was swimming in.

Are there any out there that are in Lemoore right now that can throw in a few cents? Anybody else with some random insight?
There are all kinds of bases MOAs and low level routes that run up and down that whole area. Good bets are Lemoore, China lake, Fallon from the Navy side. It's completely normal for low level flights to be from 200 - 500 AGL depending on the airframe. I doubt that there were any >1.0M maneuvers unless you were under one of the restricted areas that allow that. All pretty standard stuff for TACAIR training flights.

Good times,

Brett

jmac12

we fly over the areas your talking about going to R2508 every day out of lemoore. it is like the wild west in that area though. Air force people from edwards, nellis, and navy from lemoore, fallon, and china lake, all vfr...supposed to stay clear of national parks by 5000'. don't know about air force restrictions. the low levels flown in that area are usually at 200' tp 500'. like brett said, nothing supersonic.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
This was 5-6 years ago...a similar thing happened to me. I was hiking up Springer Mtn. (southern terminus of the AT) when two B-1Bs came along in formation hauling ass below me. :eek: Yeah...that's definately one of the few times I've looked down at an airplane...

Status
Not open for further replies.