• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force F-16 pilot earning his pay.

Orion4life

Cool video, thanks! I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways. How come it seemed like someone else was talking to the tower for him?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
He did. He had another plane (Bully 3) on his wing reducing his load (good crm) it helps him increase his SA and concentrate on flying (aviate, navigate, communicate) this is about as good as it gets for execution of the EP as a form/chase. He got his tanks jettisoned, got him clearance, made sure tower had their head out of their ass, and helped to keep the pilot calm. BZ for the AF on that one!

Yer dad probably had a few good FE's that did the same for him back in the day.

BlkPny

pilot
We had a detachment of two Marine NOGs a/c attached to our squadron for evaluation and testing. One night, on a mission with one NOGs a/c and two of our a/c, the NOG got an engine shot out just as it got to its target.
As luck would have it, the Major in charge of the det had just arrived in the bunker for a later flight. When the young 1Lt called in with an emergency, the Major took the radio mic. He told the 1Lt to put away his NATOPs and his emergency procedures. He then proceeded to slowly read the emergency procedures to the pilot, told the #2 a/c to stay back and quiet, and told the #1 a/c to call the tower to declare an emergency and clear all arty.
He went thru everything slowly and step by step, including to tell the other two a/c (ours) to be sure to stay above the NOGs bird so jettisoned crap, including all of those live 20mm rounds being pumped out from the Gattling gun, wouldn't hit them.
He was calm, organized, and totally in control. All he wanted the Lt to do was fly the aircraft. Don't think, don't talk, just fly.
It was a great example of someone stepping up and taking control.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
They showed this video in API during our CRM lecture. Good stuff, though I wonder what the drop tanks hit when they came down :eek:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Repost, but still a FANTASTIC piece of evidence of the efficacy of Military flight training.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
They showed this video in API during our CRM lecture. Good stuff, though I wonder what the drop tanks hit when they came down :eek:

ECG is a Coast Guard base with mostly water around it. I would assume the tanks went in the sound somewhere.