• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force Lt Swich services in to fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooka

I am currently a 2Lt in the AF as a comm guy. I did not get a pilot slot outta AFROTC due to the fact i got a underage drinking ticket. Anyway, after talking with my buddies i commissioned with about their experiences at pilot training, and the way Air Force is giving what seems like everybody uav's, I am questioning if is even worth it to still try and fly for the AF (I do have a application in the works though). So, i am trying to gather some information on transferring services, Navy or Marines, and get sent to flight school. I have a MEL & SEL commercial license and should be a CFI in the next month or two (~330 hrs flying time). Thanks in advance for the help!

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
I am currently a 2Lt in the AF as a comm guy. I did not get a pilot slot outta AFROTC due to the fact i got a underage drinking ticket. Anyway, after talking with my buddies i commissioned with about their experiences at pilot training, and the way Air Force is giving what seems like everybody uav's, I am questioning if is even worth it to still try and fly for the AF (I do have a application in the works though). So, i am trying to gather some information on transferring services, Navy or Marines, and get sent to flight school. I have a MEL & SEL commercial license and should be a CFI in the next month or two (~330 hrs flying time). Thanks in advance for the help!

Pooka welcome to AW. Since I've already had my first cup of coffee and woke up in a good mood, I'll pass along some advice that will save you from "incoming fire" to the face. This site contains a wealth of information, including thread upon thread about intersevice transfers, flight training, etc. Use the search function and then come back with any unanswered questions. Good Luck

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Unlike stalk, I don't drink coffee...

I did not get a pilot slot outta AFROTC due to the fact i got a underage drinking ticket. ... So, i am trying to gather some information on transferring services, Navy or Marines, and get sent to flight school. I have a MEL & SEL commercial license and should be a CFI in the next month or two (~330 hrs flying time).

***Begin rant

...because you know, unlike the Air Force, the Navy/Marines take the underage drinking rejects turned comm officers.

With your previous record, apparent attitude and lack of initiative, I'll give you about...lets say a 1 in ~330 chance.

***Rant over

Clux4

Banned
Pooka:
Here is the deal, use a search function. There was a gal/guy that asked the same question a few months back and another guy replied and said he was able to transfer as an Airforce guy but he had to call around as no one knew what to do.
Short answer: It can be done. You will go probably go to TBS enroute to Flight School.

Hope that helps

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
PM Snake020. He is a former AF officer from ROTC who transferred into the Navy as a 2Lt for a pilot slot. He was NPQed and is going supply, but I'm sure he can help you get your app in and answer any of your questions.

firefriendly

pilot
Otto is saying snake transferred over from the AF as a 2Lt into the Navy as a whatever; he just worded it differently.

What does "Air Force Lt swich services in to fly" mean? Are you positive it was the drinking ticket that kept you from flying? Although, making you a comms guy was certainly a bolder move. :) I kid

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
First off, didn't know we had 2LTs, and second he transferred over as a LT jg.

He put in his package when he was a 2LT (I believe?) in the USAF, picked up by the time he was a 1LT and he was commissioned as a LTJG in the USN.

Can't connect the dots? Jeez D_Rob... it's still early.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
He put in his package when he was a 2LT (I believe?) in the USAF, picked up by the time he was a 1LT and he was commissioned as a LTJG in the USN.

Can't connect the dots? Jeez D_Rob... it's still early.

IFR ground school is melting his brain.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Are you positive it was the drinking ticket that kept you from flying? Although, making you a comms guy was certainly a bolder move. :) I kid

exacty what i was tinking.

FWIW, I have a very good friend who is on the tail end of an interservice transfer from the Army as a FO to the Navy as an SNFO. Despite their similarities, those two acronyms cannot mean more different things. Anyway, he's on here. PM me if you want his contact info.

navy09

None
Are you positive it was the drinking ticket that kept you from flying?

Shot in the dark here, but I know AFROTC puts a ton more stock in the command's opinion/ranking of you when it comes to service selection. I doubt an underage drinking ticket is an automatic DQ for pilot; he likely took a hit in the ranking against his peers as a result of it though.

magnetfreezer

Shot in the dark here, but I know AFROTC puts a ton more stock in the command's opinion/ranking of you when it comes to service selection. I doubt an underage drinking ticket is an automatic DQ for pilot; he likely took a hit in the ranking against his peers as a result of it though.

+1

In 2004 AFROTC really hammered alcohol issues; no drinking on orders even if of age (included flight physicals, OAF (summer cruise for AF types), etc) and disenrollment for tickets.

Any type of underage alcohol ticket was auto disenrollment by HQ (for 3/C and 4/C the O-6 could waive one underage ticket per year for his entire unit, 1/C and 2/C were SOL).

One senior got an open container (on foot) ticket and managed to hold on to his pilot slot, anyone under 21 though who got caught up in a bar raid etc had their $300 ticket turned into a $15K ticket by HQ, not even the colonel could save them. They may have relaxed it recently and caused him to just lose the slot instead.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We're all done here -- or at least we should be ... if pooka was not just a drive-by, and assuming he's not in a drunk tank somewhere, he'll be back w/ some intelligent questions ... next time ... I'm sure ... mebbe . :)

Nothing to look at ... move along ...

Status
Not open for further replies.