• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force to Navy Question.... Looking for opinions

JLockheed

Wanderer
I'm currently enlisted in the Air National Guard and was hired by another Guard unit to fly for them. However the unit is in an extremely high cost of living area and my civilian job (ATC) took a 30% pay cut back in September. So now I'm rethinking my decision to stay in the Guard. I've always been interested in Naval Aviation and the Navy in general and was curious if there is anyone in here who has made the change (AF to Navy) who could shed some light on the difference between the two services. (aside from the whole living on a boat thing)

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I hate leaving the unit who hired me hanging and need to make a decision soon.

Thanks,
John :icon_drin

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm currently enlisted in the Air National Guard and was hired by another Guard unit to fly for them. However the unit is in an extremely high cost of living area and my civilian job (ATC) took a 30% pay cut back in September. So now I'm rethinking my decision to stay in the Guard. I've always been interested in Naval Aviation and the Navy in general and was curious if there is anyone in here who has made the change (AF to Navy) who could shed some light on the difference between the two services. (aside from the whole living on a boat thing)

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I hate leaving the unit who hired me hanging and need to make a decision soon.

Thanks,
John :icon_drin

The Guard is the only branch in the US military that guarantees you (with some caveats, like not failing flight school) what you are going to fly when you walk into flight school. Not only that, Guard and Reserve units are well known for letting their part-time guys just fly, and require little else of them. You get all the advantages of military flying with none of the disadvantages. This includes staff/shore tours and ground jobs. While both make you a better man/woman/officer it they take you out of the cockpit. Most Guard guys, unless they go the command route, spend their entire career flying. That is not the case in the Navy, where people spend (on average, there are a few exceptions) about half or less of a 20 year career flying. So, you have to really look at what you want.

If you want to fly you could do a lot worse than going Guard, which is hands down one fo the better deals in the US military. A few other considerations are what exactly you are going to fly, what does the unit that hired you fly? If it is fighters then it sould not be a question, go Guard. Also, where is the unit stationed? I live in a very high income area (suburb of DC, the richest 'large county' in the country) but there are a lot of options for housing, especially if you are single. Plus, the income you make from you Guard job will more than make up for your loss of pay, you will do a lot more than the standard one weekend a month two weeks a year. That reserve pays adds up quick, especially if you are a pilot (especially cargo/tanker guys, they make lots of per diem).

So, a few more details would be helpful for good advice. My gut is to tell you to go with the sure thing, you will love what you fly not matter what it is. A sure thing is a lot better than a maybe......

JLockheed

Wanderer
Forgive me for not posting all the information, I was concerned that someone from that unit might stumble across the post and think I was getting cold feet. Thanks for the advice it really put some things in perspective. This whole pay thing really screwed me up (You shouldn't do something solely for the money but you still gotta pay the bills).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Forgive me for not posting all the information, I was concerned that someone from that unit might stumble across the post and think I was getting cold feet. Thanks for the advice it really put some things in perspective. This whole pay thing really screwed me up (You shouldn't do something solely for the money but you still gotta pay the bills).

The unit is in San Francisco and flies Pavehawks...

Well, HH-60's is not a bad deal and it looks like you would be flying HH-47's in a few years. From what little I know about it they do good work and a lot of cool flying (a lot like the Coasties from my understanding), they were featured in The Perfect Storm.

A couple things to ask yourself would be what you would like to fly? The Helo pilots on the forum would be able to tell you more of the specfics on flying them in the Navy. They seem to love flying helos, they are just not fond of some of the Navy BS that comes with all of that extra stuff I was talking about. Also, if you don't know already, there is no guaruntee that you will get somthing other than helos if you are looking to fly jets (half of all pilots in the Navy now a helo guys).

Also, what kind of career do want? If you are more concerned about flying consider what I said before about a career in the Navy. If you want to fly and don't care if you are flying helos (which I would love to do), taking the Guard slot is probably the right thing. There is a thread on here about jobs you need to do in order to advance, and you have to take Civil Service retirement on top of your military reserve retirement is some nice money rolling in when you are retired.

I think I have said enough for now, I will let some others chime in. There was a C-2 guy who flew for the ANG or reserves but I haven't seen him pst for a while. Good luck!

JLockheed

Wanderer
To be quite honest, I'm happy flying anything Uncle Sam will let me. Each platform has its Pros and Cons. I've had the opportunity to fly in Helos, fighters, and heavys and I really liked the type of flying the helo guys did.

Career wise; I want to be more rounded then just flying for the whole time. Don't get me wrong I love flying but I would like to do more then just fly.

However civil service pension plus Guard retirement = pretty good money :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be quite honest, I'm happy flying anything Uncle Sam will let me. Each platform has its Pros and Cons. I've had the opportunity to fly in Helos, fighters, and heavys and I really liked the type of flying the helo guys did.

Career wise; I want to be more rounded then just flying for the whole time. Don't get me wrong I love flying but I would like to do more then just fly.
However civil service pension plus Guard retirement = pretty good money :)

There are opportunities in the National Guard to be 'more well rounded' as well. I saw plenty of ANG guys at the Pentagon working staff issues, both doing an active stint and working ANG issues.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot

More well rounded? You want a ground job? I may not have much expierience but hours in the cockpit=good, hours at the desk=not good. You'd be welcome to have my ground job if you want to be more well rounded.

JLockheed

Wanderer
More well rounded? You want a ground job? I may not have much expierience but hours in the cockpit=good, hours at the desk=not good. You'd be welcome to have my ground job if you want to be more well rounded.

I can see how that was misinterpreted. All I meant was that I want to fly but I would also like to do more then just fly.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This whole pay thing really screwed me up (You shouldn't do something solely for the money but you still gotta pay the bills).
Your ATC pay with your Air Guard pay will be a lot more than active duty pay as a O-1, O-2 or junior O-3.