• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

air intel officers

torpedo0126

my friend at TBS is hoping to get air intel. he asked me if they get to wear flight suits and if they get issued the G-1 leather jacket?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
As far as bag-wearing goes, it depends on the squadron. I've seen squadrons that made their spies where khakis or utilities; others where bags were fine. Depends on the mood & whims of the front office. I went 5 years wearing a bag, and wore khakis precisely twice (chief retirement ceremonies).

No to the leather jacket, unless you've got wings of some kind from prior service.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No to the leather jacket, unless you've got wings of some kind from prior service.

Depends on the squadron, I saw several that wore them. They were all VP spy guys though, that might have something to do with it.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Tell him if he wanted to wear a flight suit, he should have played it safe and gone for Air Force missile command.

WALI_1980

Wearing a flight suit will completely depend on the squadron. I have seen just 2-3 VP Intel O's who weren't authorize (or didn't want to) wear a flight suit. The leather jacket, now that's a different story. If you're a VP guy, work on getting your NAO wings and then you should be good to wear one, otherwise, I would shy away from the leather jacket. Besides, I don't think your squadron would issue you one unless you have some prior aircrew wings or such.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Flight suit is considered organizational clothing. Command can issue him one if they want.

As for the flight jacket. Not legal even for VP spys.

(2) Brown Leather Jacket. Naval aviators, pilots, flight officers, undergraduate pilots, NFOs, and flight surgeons, Aerospace Experimental Psychologists, and Aerospace Physiologists may wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki, Working Khaki, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue, Aviation Working Green and Navy blue coveralls. If wearing Aviation Working Green, the option is provided to wear either the leather flight jacket or the green uniform blouse. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen, E7-E9, are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki, Working Khaki, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue, Aviation Working Green and Navy blue coveralls. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen E6 and below are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Utilities, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue and Navy blue coveralls. Only direct point to point transit is appropriate when the flight jacket is worn to and from work with working uniforms (excluding Navy blue coveralls, which may be worn in immediate working spaces only). Close zipper at least 3/4 of the way when worn. Management and control of leather flight jackets are outlined in <OPNAVINST 10126.4 series>.
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/upd_CD/BUPERS/Unireg/chapter6.pdf
Just google Navy Uniform Regulations.

Since your buddy is at TBS, I assume he is a Marine. So, google Marine Corp Uniform Regulations and get:
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/si...m Regs Chapters/Chapter 7_files/Chapter 7.asp
3. The flight jacket may be worn with the service uniform by only those Marines properly issued and required to maintain an authorized flight jacket according to existing regulations. The flight jacket may be worn with the service "B," "C," and service with sweater uniforms. These uniform combinations will only be worn on base, or while traveling in a private/government vehicle between local military facilities, or to and from a domicile. While traveling outside a military installation no stops are permitted. The jacket will not be worn when the service "A" uniform is considered more appropriate, nor will it be worn on leave or liberty, or with the utility uniform or civilian clothing. When the flight jacket is worn with the service uniform, only one unit/squadron (CNO/CMC approved) patch may be worn. The patch, if worn, will be on the right front of the jacket, level with the nametape on the left side.

And from OPNAV 10126.4C:
http://www.combatindex.com/mil_docs/pdf/opnav/10000/10126-4C.pdf
4. Policy. Leather flight jackets are authorized for issue and
wear only by:
a. Naval aviators,

b. Naval flight officers (NFOs),

c. Naval flight surgeons, and

d. Navy and Marine Corps enlisted aircrew personnel, who (1) have completed Naval Aircrew Candidate School, and
(2) have been assigned a Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC) Code series 78xx, 82xx, or 94xx as listed in reference a,

or

(3) have been assigned a primary Marine Corps Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) in series 617x, 623x, 624x, 737x,
738x)

e. Navy Selected Reserve enlisted aircrew who have completed a CNO-approved course of instruction to earn Navy Enlisted
Classification (NEC) Code (series 78xx, 82xx, or 94xx)

Marine Corp aviators are consider Naval aviators, Naval encompasses both services.

Looks like the answer is still NO. Ain't the Internet wonderful???

H60Gunner

Contributor
I would shy away from the leather jacket. Besides, I don't think your squadron would issue you one unless you have some prior aircrew wings or such.

If he/she was prior aircrew, he/she would already have a leather flight jacket. And no it's not an issue item for spys.

torpedo0126

hey thanks for the replies. i will let him no. SteveG75, I looked up both of those online (except for the OPNAV) prior to asking. the only reason I posted is that I have seen SWOs wearing the nylon flight jacket and things similar to that. so i didn't know if there was a "fleet rule."

trackgain

I question seeing SWOs where a green flight jacket. The SWO community is very particular about their SWO heritage. When I was on a ship, one watch standing group even wore the old traditional black tie and service cover with their working khakis for watch. But, with the Navy mixing the enlisted air rates with seaman rates...anything is possible. As a prior Photographer's Mate (air rate), we fought hard to get the wings put back on the insignia. And now they merged it with all seaman rates. Tell an old AK that he/she is a SK and you'll get....I'm an AK...Don't call me a SK.

teabag53

pilot
It is my opinion that the 'friend' in question would be to total chooch for wearing a bag (or other flight duds) unless he/she is in a duty involving flying as a crewmember even if the squadron allows it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I question seeing SWOs where a green flight jacket. The SWO community is very particular about their SWO heritage.
SWOs wear the green flight jacket whenever they can get it. I saw it on the CV and I saw it on small boys. They don't give a crap about heritage in this case.

navy09

None
I was on cruise with a fleet staff one summer and pretty much everyone (SWO, Nuke, Aviator) wore one of those green jackets. On small boys, I think it's pretty normal for the CO to wear one.