• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Power and Evolving Warfare

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So, in the "Iraq Solutions" thread A4's started, we got into a discussion about this article...

Is air power the new face of successful war-fighting?

In it, the author argues that one of America's biggest assymetric advantages in warfighting is our air power. He goes on to suggest ways in which we can and should use that air power to our advantage in our current conflict.

I don't think that there is much arguement about the advantage part. Against nearly anyone else in the world in the air, we hold tremendous advantage. (Israel might be a little scarry though...) But lets go a step farther...

- How can we best utilize that advantage in current and future warplans considering the inherent limitations of airpower? (eg. it is very difficult for air superiority to deny ground forces an area by itself etc...)

- The United States has several other signifigant assymetric advantages, namely, a globally dominant Navy, tremendous light infantry/amphibious capability, air power...Which of these provides the most flexible warfighting tool? In short, which is the most important to preserve?

- Looking over the horizon a bit, what is the next battle? The author of the above suggested that we were working ourselves into shape for the counterinsurgency battle, but this may very well not be our next major engagement. What will that engagement look like? Which of our assymetric advatages might be most useful here?

A good essay will encorporate specific examples and address all questions...:D :icon_wink

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
A good essay will encorporate specific examples and address all questions...:D :icon_wink

I hope we don't get lots of essays. I hate reading long posts.

I think the era of small wars is far from over. our enemies know not to engage us in the open, and that will not change for at least 2 decades.

I am all for air power (hell, I want to be a naval aviator) but lets look at an example. Israel attacked Hezbollah in Lebanon from the air for 3 weeks with limited BOTG, to what end? Was Israel--with all of its air power--victorious? The general in the article makes a good point that we don't want to forget about peer competitors, but small/limited wars like Iraq will be with us for many years. China, despite all the current media attention, still has a long way to go before it is a true peer competitor.

Bottom line: we need balance (air, ground, sea). And, we need to let Europe take care of itself and take most of our troops out of Germany.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
This is a good topic, but the more pressing question is "How does a democracy fight a war in the age of global media and the interweb?"

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
This is a good topic, but the more pressing question is "How does a democracy fight a war in the age of global media and the interweb?"

Excellant question. Wish I had an answer. While I was a child during Vietnam, I can still remember watching the evening news coverage of it. In my opinion we won the actual war but lost the information war. Iraq and Afghanistan are rapidly going the same way.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
It's seems reasonably simple though...quickly, decisively and devastatingly...with clear objectives.

To quote A4's...
And THAT is why ... in one man's (?) opinion .... why we made a HUGE mistake in not killing as many of them as we could before we ran out of ammunition .... or they ran out of bodies to stand up in front of our gunsights.

The longer the war drags on...the less control you have over how it is perceived.

Quit jacking my thread...;) :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Excellant question. Wish I had an answer. While I was a child during Vietnam, I can still remember watching the evening news coverage of it. In my opinion we won the actual war but lost the information war. Iraq and Afghanistan are rapidly going the same way.

One could say that Vietnam was the first Information War. Militarily, we won the major battles, smashed them pretty hard, but they had our media and the homefront firmly in their grip, and they knew it. In a sense, they controlled the information (not directly). Look at the Tet Offensive. A military failure. However, the way it was portrayed back home was our troops being overrun, not being able to hold back the NV, etc. Yeah, that wasn't so good...

Am I right? I wasn't alive back then, and with the Viet Vets on the board, you guys are a jewel of information about that time period.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One could say that Vietnam was the first Information War. Militarily, we won the major battles, smashed them pretty hard, but they had our media and the homefront firmly in their grip, and they knew it. In a sense, they controlled the information (not directly). Look at the Tet Offensive. A military failure. However, the way it was portrayed back home was our troops being overrun, not being able to hold back the NV, etc. Yeah, that wasn't so good...
Intersting thought, given that anytime United States PSYOP or information warfare comes up in the news, it's the media who start screaming in op-ed about violations of their rights and freedom of the press, and how we're turning into Soviet Russia. I suppose they're just protecting their monopoly . . .