• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft Accidents

dilbert123

pilot
I have a couple of friends who witnessed a mid-air collision in the 1950's, most likely around '55 or '56, that involved two Navy aircraft on approach to Corpus Christi International (or whatever it was called at that time). It seems from their descriptions that it involved a Navy jet (type unknown) and what sounds like a prop, possibly an SNB from their descriptions. The crash occurred in the neighborhood where my friends lived. They remember the pilot of the jet was killed and apparently the other aircraft was able to land. With the disparity in speeds between the two types it is easy to see how this might have happened on practice instrument approaches and eyes in the cockpit.

I have tried looking everywhere for information on this. Any ideas? It happened so long ago but I can tell from the descriptions of my friends it was a very bad accident that made a very big impression on them.

Thanks in advance for any advice on where to look.

brownshoe

Contributor
I have a couple of friends who witnessed a mid-air collision in the 1950's, most likely around '55 or '56, that involved two Navy aircraft on approach to Corpus Christi International (or whatever it was called at that time). It seems from their descriptions that it involved a Navy jet (type unknown) and what sounds like a prop, possibly an SNB from their descriptions. The crash occurred in the neighborhood where my friends lived. They remember the pilot of the jet was killed and apparently the other aircraft was able to land. With the disparity in speeds between the two types it is easy to see how this might have happened on practice instrument approaches and eyes in the cockpit.

I have tried looking everywhere for information on this. Any ideas? It happened so long ago but I can tell from the descriptions of my friends it was a very bad accident that made a very big impression on them.

If Heyjoe doesn’t respond to this thread, PM him, he was an editor at Approach for awhile. HJ might be able to help you with your research.

Or just use Google and try some searches using “Approach” and “Naval Aviation News.” I’ve found some ‘old stuff’ doing just that.

Steve

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

I'd suggest googling the Navy Safety Center. They should have records of every Navy aircraft accident that occurred during that time frame. I would think that a Navy Jet flying in the Corpus area in the mid-50s (when I was there), would probably been a TV-2 (T-33). They were used extensively in the TRACOM at NAS Corpus Christi & NAS Chase Field for Instrument Training in Advanced.

I went through Advanced Inst. at ATU-213 at Chase about that time. The famous ex-POW CAPT (then LTJG Plowback) Dick "Beak" Stratton was one of my Instructors. When I got winged, Dick and I reported into VF-94 (later VA-94) together. He was the Best Man at my wedding in 1960.

Good luck in your search!
BzB