• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft Trivia Questions (F-110, W2F, etc.)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nicely done! I did a/c modeling for a long while as a hobby, but decided to spend my money on motorcycles instead.

Modeling's not that expensive, but like most hobbies that involve building things, you have to be willing to make the initial investment in good equipment to get good results. You also have to be willing to screw up a lot and keep going. Modeling's definitely a "learn from your fark-ups" past time. Also requires a loooooooooot of patience.

On the other hand, the research and reading you do also tends to gain you a lot of knowledge about whatever it is you're making. I learned a ton of stuff, technical and historical, some of it useful, some just interesting Ready Room bullshit. How the pre-MacNamara aircraft designation system worked, for example (trivia - what was the F-110? How about the W2F?). Or figuring out what ordinance the Rhino can carry, and on which stations.

Huffing paint fumes is a side perk.

If you're in P'cola, there's a shop called John's Models up in Cantonment. I think it's just something the owner does to make his hobby a tax write-off, but it works. He sells a lot of older, discontinued kits, so you can find some neat stuff and usually cheaper than what you'll find in most stores. John's usually the one at the counter and usually working on something, and he's happy to give advice.

Here's one I did of one of the NASP SAR H-3's.

Attachments

• Gulfrunner 402.jpg
    Gulfrunner 402.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 23

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
(trivia - what was the F-110? How about the W2F?).

Without going to google...I think that F-110 was the original desig for the F-4 Phantom II...correct?

As far as W2F...hmmm...drawing a blank. I was thinking the Willie Fudd at first...now I'm just confused.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
I broke down and hit google...W2F was indeed none other than the E-2A Hawkeye.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I broke down and hit google...W2F was indeed none other than the E-2A Hawkeye.
Yep. The only remaining relics of the pre-1962 designation days . . . the W2F-3 and the A2F-2Q. :D