• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

airsickness?

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Can anyone shed some light on airsickness? I've met 2 Marines this weekend that attrited from Primary due to airsickness, and my curiosity has gotten the best of me. I've got substantial hours as a civilian pilot... should I expect to feel a big difference one I get into a 34? Do most of the problems come with aerobatic flights, or can they hit at any time? I've not had any issues yet
(400 + hours), but thought I'd ask anyway. As always, thanks for any responses.

beau

I had 250 civilian hours before primary and never once did I get sick in that side of the house....then I had my 1st class aviation cruise in ROTC. I got two rides in a T-34C and puked both times.....a couple of factors.....equipment, not being at the controls, 100 degree + heat with a sh^tty AC.....complex and rapid maneuvering that I had never experianced in Piper. Trust me, at first it might suck....but then you get used to it....half the battle is mental...another 1/4 of the battle is nutrition and hydration.

I was very worried about this when i started Primary, because of what happened on my 1st class cruise. I got sick a total of about 5-6 times in primary and even had to incomplete a flight because of it. What I did to get through it was know my limits....know what manuevers made me start to get sick(Recovering from a spin always seemed to start the chunks for me...especially after a few spins). Because of knowing what was the cause I would try and make the flights work to my advantage....aka...if spins made me sick...I would do them last (the IPs were cool with that). That worked for me....I also made sure to get into a routine of eating before flights...if you dont eat...you will puke for sure!

Heat has a strange effect as well....especially after your head has been spinning around. In T-34 land you will be miserable sitting in your plane on the ground. Your first priority is to get the plane started so the worthless A/C can lower the cockpit temperature by 2 degrees. Next is to takeoff and get to altitude where it starts to cool off. Once you are done in the Area you are going to start coming back down to bouce (Touch and Goes). Two things happen when you get lower....the Temperature goes up...and the ride becomes rough....these two factors...along with the fact that you have been spinning you brain around your melon for the past 30 minutes and maybe the fact that you are now dehydrated......seem to make the right situation for one to get sick (this was by far the most common instance of people getting sick in primary from what I took in). For me even if I got done with the Spins alright and had held back the chunks....descending back the base might put me over the top.

Another note...if you IP is flying and starting to make you sick....take the controls...the mental part almost goes away because of the concentration of flying the Aircraft.

btw....on that same 1st class cruise I got a ride in an F-14...and didnt puke......O2 mask and the G-suit do a lot for the mental side of it.

phrogpilot73

I have only puked twice in the road to wings... First time, I hit my first turbulence in the landing pattern. I told my on-wing that I didn't want to incomplete/unk the flight, and that I just needed a couple of minutes. No prob, finished the flight. Second time was during PAs, surprisingly during a check ride. IP was demonstrating a aileron roll, and I wasn't ready for it. He demonstrated, then said "you have the controls". My response - "Give me a sec", as I yakked into the bag that I always carried (just in case). Took the controls, and did an aileron roll. I have NEVER puked in helos (if you fly Phrogs, while you're sitting on the ground, pull the cyclic back a bit and raise the nose - it will eliminate that nasty "I wanna puke" engine exhaust smell). Although my buddy is a COD pilot now because he couldn't stop puking during advanced. I think maybe he won...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Talking about puking, I have a older friend who ownes a T-28. On a xcountry coming back from a long trip with his wife, he decided to do some inverted flight and some rolls. Well, the wife got sick and she knew how much he loved his plane so she pulled open her shirt and well...i think you know what happens next.

Now thats a wife. I have told that to a couple of my female friends and they say if i ever get them airsick in a plane, they will puke all over the place to get me back. So i stay away from the loops, wingovers, stalls, etc. (all the fun stuff)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have only puked twice in the road to wings...

No wonder they made you fly Phorgs... ;)

I had about 500 hours before I started Primary. I had a T-34 and an F-14 flight as a mid. By the end of both, I was a little green, but still hanging on. On my first flight in Primary, I was green as a pickle (still didn't puke, for the record). Like everyone is saying, it's all how you prep and handle it. Flying and being hydrated/fed help immensely. By Fam 3 I was good to go and only had an issue later during airleron rolls (they're pretty common problem areas) and when the AC broke dick on the road in the mountains of Colorado while yanking and banking around the hillsides. Again never puked.

After 4 more years of flying, and plenty of very rough seas in the Pacific in a tiny frigate, I've survived. So, you'd think you'd be good to go now, right? After my first flight in the T-34 again coming back through, not so hot. My point: It's totally normal, and most get over it. Attriting for airsickness is pretty rare now, since they don't have the huge numbers they did last year.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I had as many problems with airsickness as anyone... BFMs it just kept coming. You stickmonkeys are lucky because at least with y'all you're at the controls. Eventually I got over it and I haven't had any real problems even in the RAG. My advice...

1- Know your sh!t going into the flight. If you're nervous because you're unprepared or unsure or lack confidence, it's going to make EVERYTHING worse.

2- Hydration, nutrition, rest. Nuff said.

3- Get flying and keep flying. You may not have control over skeds, but when you fly every day, it gets a little better each time (this also goes back to point #1). You go awhile without flying... good luck ;)

4- If you start to feel queasy, find the horizon, start talking to yourself about where you are and what you're doing... "I'm at 15K, slightly nose up, climbing, left 45 AOB turn..." once your internal gyro tumbles and you lose sense of where you are, it's off to the races.

Good luck :)

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Awesome advice... I'll definitely revisit some of the nutrition threads posted previously. Thanks-

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the record, the closest I ever came to puking was in the back of a P-3 after our 4th hour at 300 AGL on a hot, turbulent day in the Gulf while slinging buoys and breathing CAD smoke. Way worse than any BFM or other dynamic jet flight.

Brett

powder

The nutrition/hydration/mental preparedness advice is all excellent, so if you're really hurting, give all of those things a shot. Each person is different, so who knows what will work for you.

Ultimately, though, motion sickness deals with the sensitivity of your vestibular nerve and the fluid filled canals in your inner ear, which send conflicting signals to your brain about your body's movement and orientation (this is all old news since most of us here have been through API). The point that I'm trying to make with that, though, is that like genetics/athletic ability/alcohol tolerance/etc., this sensitivity is different from person to person. The good news is, just like with most everything else, your body adapts fairly rapidly to its new environment. So while all of those other little tricks and methods might ease the transition, adaptation is going to be your biggest friend. Unfortunately, sometimes the road to wellness is not very pleasant, but you'll get there. I was in your shoes before flight school, as well. Airsickness was my number one concern, and I did hack several times, but it passed, just like it does for 99% of the studs in the program.

I know that there are the very, very unlucky few who's systems' are so sensitive that they never adapt, but I wouldn't sweat it. You'd already know if that applied to you, as there'd be no way you could get up into a civilian plane and not feel it. Good luck.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
When I was with an S-3 squadron, the pilots told me eating bananas is good. Taste the same coming out :) Unfortunately, I had china express :(

FLY_USMC

pilot
Though quite a few people get airsickness during straight and level flight, a lot don't. The problem with assuming you won't get sick since you didn't during civilian flying is you hardly ever pull any substantial g's during civilian flight training, and let's be honest, spins aren't exactly that aggravating. I was lucky enough to do quite a bit of civilian aerobatics prior to joining the military and have never had even a hint of airsickness. What's good is like 95% of people can overcome airsickness. If you're one of those people that gets car sick, sea sick, hates rollercoasters and the ferris wheel(I hate ferris wheels) you might be in a bit of trouble.

phrogpilot73

I've got a great picture of a Marine in the back of my Phrog puking into a ziploc bag, and all his friends are laughing at him. The funny thing was, when we left Roberts International Airport in Liberia, we flew a windy river at 50'/120kts, then did a zoom climb up to 500'/100kts... When did he get sick? Starboard D, waiting for the $hitter to drop off it's hummvee...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Just to chime in and show it is really different from person to person: I had 0 flight time before I started flight school. The only 2 times I have felt queasy is my T-34 ride during a summer cruise, and my first T-37 flight. I got queasy while we were RTB, so it was a fairly mundane portion of the flight, but I did not throw up. I really would not sweat it though, even if you have a rough time, by far the majority of people get over it. If they didn't, someone would have to redesign flight school.

Chubby

Well, the wife got sick and she knew how much he loved his plane so she pulled open her shirt and well...i think you know what happens next.
That's why I always bring a bag. Never been queasy in the plane, but I know the one time I don't bring it will be the one time I need it. Maybe it's a mental thing.