• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Allergies

muted0

I've looked at reqirements for becoming an aviator, and both the Air Force and Navy say you can't have records of allergies after the age of 12 (some pages say 13). Is there any way to get around this? I had allergies until I turned 15.
Thanks

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Depends what kind of allergies. I have seasonal allergies and they cleared me just fine. As long as it can be treated with simple medications (I take Flonase and Allegra when needed). The biggest thing they're worried about is if you can clear your ears and sinuses for the altitude changes. As for other types of allergies, I'm not sure.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I've looked at reqirements for becoming an aviator, and both the Air Force and Navy say you can't have records of allergies after the age of 12 (some pages say 13). Is there any way to get around this? I had allergies until I turned 15.
Thanks

I am certainly no flight surgeon but like xj220 it really depends on what kinds of allergies. If you can provide more details we might be able to address your situation a little better.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't worry too much then. Especially if they haven't been bothering you recently.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are going to get xrays of your sinuses to make sure there are no obstructions in them.

Lyse01

what if you are allergic to a type of medication? I am personally allergic to codeine.

In my case, it's marked on my medical record and I have a red dogtag. I also have seasonal allergies. It's not a big deal. I just had to jump through a few hoops with the seasonal allergies.

Rg9

pilot
I've always put "mild seasonal allergies" on my medical stuff and it's never been an issue. I might have been asked once or twice about it... never tell them more than they need to know. I'm currently taking free flight doc prescribed claritin and flonase, and all I had to do was make an appt. to get them.

Where did you read you can't have allergies? I think what you read might be old. I know that's an AF thing, but I'm pretty sure seasonal allergies, as long as they're correctable by claritin/allegra and flonase, currently doesn't even require a waiver in naval aviation (although one time it did, I believe).

muted0

Yeah, you're right, the only place I've the allergies stuff has been air force pages. Do they waive that stuff if its minor?

magnetfreezer

Yeah, you're right, the only place I've the allergies stuff has been air force pages. Do they waive that stuff if its minor?
When I went in for my scholarship DODMERB physical I had a history of allergies; they sent me in to a military allergist for about a 5 minute interview on how often I had the symptoms, could they be controlled with OTC meds, etc. and then signed off on it. At my flight physical 2 years later I just brought in a copy of the waiver and they signed off on it.

muted0

Another question: Does the medical review board actually review your medical history? Or do they just test you for what you declare? I ask this question cause I have mild psoriasis on my ankles and scalp that I treat with cortizone from a dermatologist. On the Nami site it says "waiver may be considered for mild cases", and then two sentences later says "a history of psoriasis is dq for entry in aviation". http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Dermatology.pdf
Could someone clear this up for me.
thanks

Nose

pilot
I had multiple food allergies and SAR (Seasonal Allergenic Rhinitis a.k.a. Hay Fever) and had to do the jump through the hoop to get a waiver, but all in all, it was OK. I heard that SAR, if mild and fixable with easy meds, as stated above, does not even require a waiver anymore.

Nose