• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

am i on the right track?

token

Hello, I just wanted to know if im doing everything right and heading in the right direction. I'm thinking about this really ahead into the future but Let me start off by saying i am a freshman in community college (high school didnt go to well for me) and i plan on transfering to a 4 year university and getting my BA in the Information Technology field. i just started community college and was wondering if i should switch it to computer science but would be a little more difficult for me to get better grades but really plan on doing better in college than i did in high school. I also just recently enlisted in the Air National Guard and my MOS will be Tactical Aircraft maintenance on F-16's. So i was wondering if (considering i do well in school) i would be a good canidate for a officer maintenance job or perhaps a NFO (i also have 20/20) or a candidate just for OCS. Yes im thinking this far ahead into the future but I just want to make sure I do everything right and not think about it before its too late. I can answer questions if anybody needs more information.Thanks

P.S. sorry about the Air Force pic for those certain ppl. i didn't even upload it, it just automatically set it there when i created the account.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
FWIW there are a lot more USAF folks on baseops than here. We have a few, that I'm sure will chime in, but you will probably get a lot more info over there, being an AF forum and all. Best of luck with your career though!

Renegade One

None
Hello back and welcome to the forum. Nice to see that you're "honestly assessed" your personal performance to date (e.g., your high school career..for whatever reasons...) and have made the good decision to turn that around and do better.
I think it's probably a bit early for any of us to truly offer "great advice" about what to do in the next four years academically. If some do...well, you get what you pay for.
Thanks for joining the Air Guard...shows a personal level of commitment and will teach you many things about this life you seem to aspire to. Take the good with the bad...learn from both...keep your chin up.
For now...stay out of trouble. Stay in shape...and maybe get better. Do well in school.
I think we'd be lucky to get you...in 4-5 years.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since you mentioned OCS versus OTS, and NFO, then I am guessing you mean to be on a Navy centric site. You don't want ask the blue bellies at baseops about Navy OCS or NFO. To answer your question, sounds like a decent start getting your life on track. Since HS didn't go well I'd probably stay with general studies stuff in the community college and concentrate on getting good grades, especially in math and science. Then go all in at the university level with the IT degree. Your enlisted service, assuming you do very well, will help with an OCS app. Just a heads up, the Navy is either in the process of or has already done away with Aviation Maintenance Officer accessions from OCS. If you like avation go NFO, or pilot. Unlike USAF OTS the Navy will guarantee that training if you qualify and are selected. Oh, and watch your age. Don't ditty bop through this. The older you are the harder it is to get selected. Good luck

robav8r

None
Contributor
P.S. sorry about the Air Force pic for those certain ppl. i didn't even upload it, it just automatically set it there when i created the account.
Hmmmm, an Air Force avatar "automatically" inserted upon account creation. Maybe Baseops has infected AW with some new Trojan Horse Virus Stuxnet Tracking Cookie piece of malicious software . . . hmmmm?

coyote09

SSMR
pilot
I did the JuCo transfer thing, worked out ok for me. Just keep your grades up in school, stay in shape, and take it one step at a time. Best of luck.

token

Thanks for the responses guys, and i totally forgot to mention the reason why i posted this and wink got it right. I want to do Navy OCS after i finish college and my 6 years (officially 8) are up in the ANG. My goal in life is to become an officer but now favoring the Navy over the Air Force because i like planes, aircraft carriers, and want to travel.

exNavyOffRec

Like wink said AMDO hard to get, few spots, and recently even though it is OCS the guys they have been taking are USN AD with a maint. background, but lots of other options.

Things change often in officer recruiting so what we may tell you now may not apply in a few years, just roll with it.

Apply AS SOON as you are eligible, the reason is it may take a few times to get picked up, you can get a conditional release for the ANG.

On the college side, don't rush it, if taking 5 or even 6 years to complete your degree is what it takes to maintain a great GPA then do it, I have talked to many people that have told me I finished my degree in under 4 years, sure that's great but your 2.5 GPA isn't going to help, you can help send the guy off to OCS that took 6 years and has a 3.5 GPA.

If you can take calc and physics and do well then do it, it will open up a few more options.

BallsToTheWall

I'm kind of on the right track as you, sir! Like yourself, I didn't do to well in HS but well enough to enlist in the af active duty for 4 years. I'm now pursuing a computer science degree just like you! Just wanted to chime in and let you know that you're not alone. Just like everyone else on this thread says, keep your grades up, your fitness constant and your heart set on your goal, and the world will sure conspire to help you achieve your dreams!

Cheers

ryan1234

Thanks for the responses guys, and i totally forgot to mention the reason why i posted this and wink got it right. I want to do Navy OCS after i finish college and my 6 years (officially 8) are up in the ANG. My goal in life is to become an officer but now favoring the Navy over the Air Force because i like planes, aircraft carriers, and want to travel.

May not be a bad idea to apply for both AF and Navy.... the Guard is certainly a good gig as well.

I'm AF at a Navy base... can't complain too much at all. Although they do stuff really weird, the Navy dudes around here aren't that bad in real life. I can only imagine that the boards will start to get even more competitive in the next few years, so set out to get excellent grades in whatever you can. It's great that you are starting in the quest early. If you're interested in AF OTS, don't hesitate to PM me. Good Luck!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just want to highlight what Navy Off Rec said. If enlisted on active duty, in the Reserves or the Guard, you don't have to wait until you contract is up to apply for any officer program in any service component. Apply just as soon as you are eligible. For OCS that is usually a year prior to graduating with your Bachelors degree. Don't hesitate. The sooner you apply to more times you can reapply, if necessary, until you are too old.