• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Amazing A-6 Intruder Story

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
LT. Gallagher has been pretty popular lately.
repost.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw him trap on the flight deck from abeam the #2 wire sheave. I was in a CVW-11 VF squadron when he was with VA-95.

Some scary and quite bizarre moments.

Brett1

Banned
So if I understand this correctly the LSO told the captain to "steady up" the boat?? Does the LSO have the ability to make that call or was that a suggestion??

Grant

So if I understand this correctly the LSO told the captain to "steady up" the boat?? Does the LSO have the ability to make that call or was that a suggestion??

Considering the circumstances, I doubt the skipper had any problem with that request.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The LSO was then LT Mike "Nasty" Manazir...now a CAPT and CO of the Nimitz...he was a very, very good LSO.

A very recognizable...and comforting voice on the radio. When he told the CO of the ship he'd take the winds, he was accepting full responsibility for the circumstances at hand...lots of weight on LT shoulders.

Nose

pilot
We used to play that tape at LSO school, not to show the "Jesus is my co-pilot" part, but instead to show how important it is for the LSO to take charge of the situation when he needs to. What Nasty was telling the Captain was "Stop turning. I'll can get him with the crosswind, but the turn is killing me."

Grant hit the nail on the head, the Captain probably called for the steady out on the first call, just takes them big boats a long time to stop their turn.

This is a great lesson in positional authority. The schedule writer might be a JG, but he can control your destiny...he has positional authority. The DK at PSD might be a 3rd class, but he can ruin your fiscal program for a month or two if he really wants to...he has positional authority. The pilot of the A-6 was the most important guy in this scenario, but Nasty was the most important guy on the boat.

Like I said before the LSO is proabably the most powerful LT/LCDR on a carrier, if not in Aviation.

Nose

PS Nasty is a righteous dude.