• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Amount of flight time after first sea tour???

navyblue84

Hey guys, I was recently pro rec'd SNA and I'll hopefully be headed to OCS this summer and I just wanted to ask a quick question regarding career advancement and flight time. My question is, about how much flight time do you roughly get after your first sea tour is completed? Do naval aviators still get any flying in on their shore tour or once they're on their 2nd sea tour as staff or later as department head and so on? I just hate to have the idea that you really only get to truly fly for those first three years and then your time in the cockpit drops off considerably. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
To address you overall concern. The Navy is not like the Army. At a minimum, most pilots will get two flying tours, one as a JO and one as Dept Head. However, there are plenty of flying opportunities during your first shore tour, a couple opportunities during your disassociated sea tour, and a couple opportunities during your 2nd shore tour. Finally after your 2nd shore tour is about where you would be for XO/CO. If you screen for Command that would generally be your last flying tour, but a there are a couple opportunities after that.
Now what I listed is career progression vs. flying opportunities for my community (HS) but it is fairly similar to the other communities. I know several people who put in 20 years and only had one non flying tour BUT I know many more who didn't or won't have that same thing.
The number of hours you have after your first tour is highly dependant on a number of factors: 1. Your community 2. The "war" climate (i.e. during the OIF war vs. during the cleanup ops) and 3. When you show up in your squadron (do you make 1 cruise or 2).
After my first tour I had about 1300 hours (1000+ in airframe, 200ish in training). BUT I did 3 cruises (2 long, 1 short), my first cruise was during the opening phase of OEF, and my 2nd cruise my squadron did some special stuff that just added on the hours.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
sort of a threadjack but...

I think I want to fly helos instead of jets if I get a flight spot outta here... is something wrong with me? =)

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I ended my first sea tour with just over 1500 hours. About 275 in training and 1225 in my fleet aircraft.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
HighDimension said:
sort of a threadjack but...

I think I want to fly helos instead of jets if I get a flight spot outta here... is something wrong with me? =)

The only thing wrong is that you even asked that question.