• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

an honest answer please (LD)

Piperpilot2004

Sorry if this situation has come up before. I know a lot of people post "what are my chances," but I have a little different situation and am recieving mixed input from people.

I am a senior in high school, and I have had this dream to become a Naval Aviatior ever since I was 6 years old. I am working towards my PPL and am still very interested in persueing this dream. I get average grades, I meet a lof of the physical requirements as far as I can tell (even though there is a lot more to it, and cant say I am 100% qualified bc im no doc.) Im not 100% pos my allergies where diagnosed before age 12 but Ill need to check up on that somehow. Im fine now thought but anyways..

The major problem I am having is I was diagnosed with a Learning Disability early on in school around 1st grade. Ever since my guidance counsolers have placed me in easy classes no matter how well I do (really ticks me off).

I was in Special Education until 5th grade, and then was on a monitor program until 8th. After 8th I was all on my own. Ever since Iv been fine. I dont know how its going to transfer over to college( if the college will know, and NROTC instructors), and I dont know if there is any way the navy can find out about the disability.

I know I am fine now, and I dont think I have it any longer. I know training to become a military pilot is one of the hardest types of training out there in the world, and I am fully ready to take on the challenge.

Am I foolish for even bothering trying?? Be honest. What would you do in my situation? I just dont want to give it my all then be turned down for something I cant help. Say I pass all exams, FC-1 physical, can I be turned down for having this disability even though my scores where alright??

You might say I am thinking too much, but I have talked to a few people and they are making me sound like an idiot for trying, and others say I should be fine. Does having a disability go on record-thats one of my major questions here, and secondly, has anyone ever heard of someone going through the training with one??

Any help would be appreciated. I know I sound like a typical wannabe but this is very important to me, and I want this more than anything. Im starting to think its going to be pretty hard for me to even become an Officer if they find this out.

I would still serve my country if things didnt work out, but I am very confused what I should be doing right now. Thank you for listening. Peace

-mike

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
One of my buds from college (NROTC) had a LD from very early on in school. He is now a Naval Aviator. It may may the process a bit more of a pain in the ass for you, but if this is what you want, don't sell yourself short by not even trying.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you perform in college then any early age LD diagnosis will be moot. Press on. Do well in college and give it a shot.

Piperpilot2004

yeah I guess thats the best thing I should do. I am going to give it a shot regardless but I just wanted to see what some of you thought. Is having a LD disqualifying to pass the FC-1?? just wondering.

beau

I dont know the anwser to that one...but i'll chime in on the LD point. I think half the people I know in pilot training have what today they would call ADHD or something like that...I dont know I wasent paying attention (hahahaha!). I think sometimes there is a general overraction to kids being...well....Kids. Parents freak out cause they think there kid is retarted when it is really the parents lack of faith and parenting that is causeing a kid to be "not so normal". Then you have all these kids on drugs....which is stupid to me. When I screwed up....I got my butt beat....I learned not to screw up. But that is just my story. My two cents.

PS my mom refused to feed me sugar as a kid because she thought i was too hyperactive. Now I force feed myself poweraid after poweraid to be energized and hydrated for flights. Go figure.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
piper-- my $0.02:

give it a shot. when you get to college, get tested to see if you still have it. if you do, while in college, there are several things that you can do:

1. they have to give you more time for exams and quizzes, etc. not doing to is called 'discrimination'.

2. there are different study techniques and methods that you can use to make life easier.

3. sometimes, (and i don't usually advocate this), there are low-dose meds that can help. obviously you need to do this under a physician's close supervision.

i say this because it can be done, and you don't want to blow college, and then find out that it didn't have to be that way. a good friend of mine ended up having to drop out of school halfway through. she ended up being tested for an LD, and once she realized she had it, learned the way that was best for her to study, came back, and in her remaining two years, had a 4.0. that 4. got her into one of the best law schools in the country. it can be done.

however, you should realize that the navy might not be quite as accomodating as college. if you don't have it anymore, don't worry about it. but if you do have some remnants of it, and do well, it will probably be a non-issue.

Piperpilot2004

yeah i agreee totally with you on that. It was 1st grade..i was a f'ing retard..what would i have known anyways?? I really didnt get a chance. Owell im not gonna complain about that cuz no one needs to hear it, but I know what your saying..thanks man

Piperpilot2004

alright well ill keep taht in mind. I'll see how I do. College is harder than HS, i realize that. I gave the testing some thought also, and I am not quite sure yet. I know I dont have the disability, and I dont think I need the testing. If I wasnt going to the navy I would prob test for the heck of it, but as long as I'm doing fine it wont be an issue for me..it will be one more thing against me. Im not worried about failing..im just worried the Navy will find out somehow and I wont have a chance because it might be possibly dq. The LD is bullsh!t, but they wont know that. Owell thanks everyone, I'll just see how things go I guess. Not much I can do now but give it a shot! Thanks again.

ip568

None
Close to my heart

>>Sorry if this situation has come up before. I know a lot of people post "what are my chances," but I have a little different situation and am recieving mixed input from people.

>>I am a senior in high school, and I have had this dream to become a Naval Aviatior ever since I was 6 years old. I am working towards my PPL and am still very interested in persueing this dream. I get average grades, I meet a lof of the physical requirements as far as I can tell (even though there is a lot more to it, and cant say I am 100% qualified bc im no doc.) Im not 100% pos my allergies where diagnosed before age 12 but Ill need to check up on that somehow. Im fine now thought but anyways..

The Navy doesn't care about allergies as long as they don't effect flying and any meds are approved by the Navy for flying. I know. I was in the same boat allergy-wise. A PPL looks good to the Navy in as far as you are "aeronautically adapted." Also helps on the spatial aperception test where you have to match the exterior and interior views from a cockpit.

>>The major problem I am having is I was diagnosed with a Learning Disability early on in school around 1st grade. Ever since my guidance counsolers have placed me in easy classes no matter how well I do (really ticks me off). I was in Special Education until 5th grade, and then was on a monitor program until 8th. After 8th I was all on my own. Ever since Iv been fine. I dont know how its going to transfer over to college( if the college will know, and NROTC instructors), and I dont know if there is any way the navy can find out about the disability.

I also have a LD. I am dyslexic. However, when I was a kid, there was no dyslexia. You were (1) lazy (2) stupid (3) Both. I was put in the retarded division in 7th grade. Bummer, man. So I worked twice as hard as everyone else and brought myself up to dean's list in the 8th grade (having two great parents didn't hurt, either). I self-diagnosed my dyslexia years later. It was funny to finally learn what my problem was. Expect to have to study harder than your classmates in the Navy but above all the Navy admires MOTIVATION.

>>I know I am fine now, and I dont think I have it any longer. I know training to become a military pilot is one of the hardest types of training out there in the world, and I am fully ready to take on the challenge.

>>Am I foolish for even bothering trying?? Be honest. What would you do in my situation? I just dont want to give it my all then be turned down for something I cant help. Say I pass all exams, FC-1 physical, can I be turned down for having this disability even though my scores where alright??

Hell no! TRY! In fact, if you aren't willing to keep hurling yourself up against the recruiter's door, you probably aren't motivated enough to fly Navy.

>>You might say I am thinking too much, but I have talked to a few people and they are making me sound like an idiot for trying, and others say I should be fine. Does having a disability go on record-thats one of my major questions here, and secondly, has anyone ever heard of someone going through the training with one??

See above. I graduated from AOCS 18 out of 35: Top academically, bottom PFT, middle militarily. That f^%$#@g O-Course almost got me, but in the end I prevailed!

>>Any help would be appreciated. I know I sound like a typical wannabe but this is very important to me, and I want this more than anything. Im starting to think its going to be pretty hard for me to even become an Officer if they find this out.

>>I would still serve my country if things didnt work out, but I am very confused what I should be doing right now. Thank you for listening. Peace

Go for it. I don't want to give you the old veteran Navy routine, but let me tell you: as you get older the single greatest regrets you will ever have are for not taking a chance on something you really wanted. I treasure my career in the Navy.

nfo_wings_4.gif