• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

An Omen (& a Stearman) ...

jride200

I couldn't dream up a better story, even had I wanted to...

I report to Newport in no more than two weeks with the October 20th class. My designator, a lifelong dream, is SNA. As some of you know, this has been a long, long time coming for me. It has required my persistence and my heart. To get here, I've overcome both a painful divorce and a potentially career-ending shoulder injury.

This past Friday, I attended a benefit event for my uncle along with several hundred other people. My uncle was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. Not but months before his diagnosis, he lost his job and, importantly, his health insurance. At this event, family members, friends of the family, and others donated gifts to be raffled. I pulled out the only ten wadded dollars I had in my pocket, bought some tickets, and put them in a manila envelope bulging with other people's tickets. I believe it was by far the most popular prize available, and I, of all people, won it...What did I win might you ask?

As a perfect send-off for the demands ahead of me, and in my final days at home, I won flight time in a Navy Stearman biplane. I am extremely excited, as are my uncle and the rest of my family. Whatever shreds of doubt I had racing through my head regarding my chosen career path are now completely, utterly, gone. Living the dream, as so many in NA say, right? Its now beginning...

stearman.jpg

Creatre

BDCP Hopeful
Wow that's awesome. I would definitely have to say that might be a sign! I wish best of luck to you becoming a SNA and your uncle with his cancer. Enjoy that plane! :)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you win a flight...or the plane?

Either way, best of luck in OCS and the SNA program.

FastMover

NFO
None
I got to ride in a Stearman last summer and it was a BLAST. I've have a few hours in the Cessna 150 and Diamond DA20 and neither really come close to the old Stearman. There's just nothing quite like the open cockpit wind in your face experience. Be sure and take some pics!

Yours truly up front. I gotta get me one a these!!!!:D:D

DSCN1992.jpg

jride200

Did you win a flight...or the plane?

Either way, best of luck in OCS and the SNA program.

Ha Ha, I wish I won a Stearman, but I won an hour long flight. I had it worded rather strangley, and I see why you were confused; I've edited it. I'm willing to wager that given the irony of me winning the raffle, the flight will last a little bit [or preferably a lot] longer than an hour.

badger16

None
as Napoleon Dynamite once said....LUCKY!!!

Seriously dude, that is so rad. Enjoy it. Take and post the pictures. Finally good luck to you on your path to becoming a NA.

Cheers.

nugget81

pilot
That's awesome! I've never flown a stearman, but I have gotten to go up a few times in a Great Lakes (same deal - open cockpit biplane, tail dragger). Those types of airplanes are the real deal. Inherently unstable, tough to fly, and tons of fun!! Enjoy and get lots of pictures!!!

brownshoe

Contributor
At this event, family members, friends of the family, and others donated gifts to be raffled. I pulled out the only ten wadded dollars I had in my pocket, bought some tickets, and put them in a manila envelope bulging with other people's tickets.

Good luck to you, I think you'll do very well judging by your attitude. Welcome to the best years of your life, your adventure has started. Sounds to me like you'll make a great naval officer.

I'm also very sorry to hear about your uncle. It does sound as though the family will stand by him during his time of need, very comforting for him I'm sure.

Steve